Renovations in matrimonial home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renovations in matrimonial home

My ex plans to go to court to force me out of the matrimonial home so he can do upgrades to it to extract maximum value out of it (and to force me out) when he sells. Since he has already told me he's going to fight me in court for the post separation increase of the value of the matrimonial home I don't want him to renovate it. I would rather it sell in its current condition so he gets less money. I suspect he might try to move back in when I'm out since the house is in his name. Is there any way I can stop this?

No there isn’t. And fighting him will make you lose more money. If you are ordered out or he buys you out then you can’t win.

The only thing you can do is fight to have it sold and if he has the legal ground to stop that from happening, you are out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      No there isn�t. And fighting him will make you lose more money. If you are ordered out or he buys you out then you can�t win.

The only thing you can do is fight to have it sold and if he has the legal ground to stop that from happening, you are out of luck.
      Why would he be allowed to buy me out? He can't force me to sell to him. He needs to compete on the open market as far as I understand.

Comment

You are a squatter. You have limited rights until you are forced out.

The house will be appraised as of the valuation date and you'll receive half the equity at that time. You're owed a specific amount which has nothing to do with what the house sells for now. It's not your property and you have no say over any renovations or sale price.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
          You are a squatter. You have limited rights until you are forced out.

The house will be appraised as of the valuation date and you'll receive half the equity at that time. You're owed a specific amount which has nothing to do with what the house sells for now. It's not your property and you have no say over any renovations or sale price.
          Why would I be considered a squatter? I contributed about 10% of the total down payment of this home while my ex husband contributed 90%.. It's still the matrimonial home. By letting me stay here my ex by default recognized my right to the ownership of the property.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
            Why would I be considered a squatter? I contributed about 10% of the total down payment of this home while my ex husband contributed 90%.. It's still the matrimonial home. By letting me stay here my ex by default recognized my right to the ownership of the property.

No he didn’t. He was putting his case together and probably hoped you would get your shit together. Four years later and you still think he owes you.

10% is nothing and his name is on the title. Now you are trying to fight a losing battle. He owns the home. If you can’t buy him out then you aren’t in a position to demand anything. Plus if it is ordered sold, he could have someone else he knows buy it with his money. Or he could simply have you ordered out. Which is probably what he will do.

So much for “best interest of the children”. This argument demonstrates FULLY that you are only out for yourself and screwing your ex.

Comment

No he didn�t. He was putting his case together and probably hoped you would get your shit together. Four years later and you still think he owes you.

10% is nothing and his name is on the title. Now you are trying to fight a losing battle. He owns the home. If you can�t buy him out then you aren�t in a position to demand anything. Plus if it is ordered sold, he could have someone else he knows buy it with his money. Or he could simply have you ordered out. Which is probably what he will do.

So much for �best interest of the children�. This argument demonstrates FULLY that you are only out for yourself and screwing your ex.
              I just want him to be fair to me. It's not fair if I need to live and rent a 1 bedroom condo while he gets to live in a 3 million dollar house. The kids will have drastic different standard of living during each of our parenting time.

Comment

I just want him to be fair to me. It's not fair if I need to live and rent a 1 bedroom condo while he gets to live in a 3 million dollar house. The kids will have drastic different standard of living during each of our parenting time.

Why does he have to be fair? Hes been fair the last four years and you have used him. He worked hard and built his career. You quit your job and started your own business and paid your boyfriend a salary. Your ex is not responsible for your stupid decisions.

Make him a reasonable offer and end this ridiculous battle that is all about your jealousy over what he has!

Comment

Why does he have to be fair? Hes been fair the last four years and you have used him. He worked hard and built his career. You quit your job and started your own business and paid your boyfriend a salary. Your ex is not responsible for your stupid decisions.

Make him a reasonable offer and end this ridiculous battle that is all about your jealousy over what he has!
                  I am an entrepreneur at heart. Now that restrictions have been loosened my business should be making money soon. The business grants and loans helped keep me afloat and to pay myself and my bf a salary.

We used to have a good high end standard of living. It's only fair maintains that standard so my kids and I are not living paycheque to paycheque. I need 20 to 25k a month and I'll settle. He is offering me 5k with 50% section 7 expenses split 50/50. The kids section 7 expenses are close to 200k a year. I would be in a deficit and go bankrupt.

Comment

I am an entrepreneur at heart. Now that restrictions have been loosened my business should be making money soon. The business grants and loans helped keep me afloat and to pay myself and my bf a salary.
                    Ah yes so you depended on the Canadian taxpayer AND your ex to fund your lifestyle. Glad you spent someone else’s money last year.

We used to have a good high end standard of living. It's only fair maintains that standard so my kids and I are not living paycheque to paycheque. I need 20 to 25k a month and I'll settle. He is offering me 5k with 50% section 7 expenses split 50/50. The kids section 7 expenses are close to 200k a year. I would be in a deficit and go bankrupt.
                    USE TO HAVE are the key words there. You are now getting divorced which means you will not have the same standard of living and things WILL change. Your kids won’t be living paycheque to paycheque, YOU will. And that is not your ex’s fault. As stated ad nauseam to you, your ex is not responsible for you anymore. He is responsible for the kids expenses in an offset situation. You are responsible for the other share. If your business is not doing well enough on its own then you need to get a new job. Thousands of dads out there HAVE to work to pay support and HAVE TO PAY according to their income. How is that different for you? Your kids are your responsibility too and if you can’t afford their lifestyle then you need to make some hard decisions about what they participate in annually.

You are just demonstrating your spoiled, self entitled attitude and also how you will lose everything including what is actually “fair” in your situation.

Comment

How are the kids section 7's almost 200k?

Comment

Your ex makes $500,000 per year and the kids have $200,000 per year in section 7 expenses that you split 50/50?! Something doesn't add up? Why don't you counter you want section 7 split according to income, also place a cap on the section 7 extracurriculars?

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                          I am beginning to think that TrueBlue's situation is not real and its just somebody posting ridiculous posts for a ruse.
                          This is what I’ve been saying all along. Troll.

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
                            This is what Iâ€[emoji769]ve been saying all along. Troll.

I disagree. There are a few indications of seriousness. Plus there are a lot of women out there who believe this bs about entitlement.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                              I am beginning to think that TrueBlue's situation is not real and its just somebody posting ridiculous posts for a ruse.

If this not a ruse, TrueBlue's lawyer clearly sees free money and is not advising his/her client.

TrueBlue: Have you filed and submitted your Financial Statement yet? If not, what are you waiting for? You are not the first person to separate where a house is involved. You cannot afford to buy out your ex, and your ex wants to renovate and sell the house. Your ex is moving forward. Wants to move forward with his life. A judge will have a field day with you and you will be liable for your ex's costs.
                              I provided my financial disclosure when I was unemployed and in the process of starting my own business. My ex's lawyer requested financial documents from my new business but I'm not comfortable giving it to him as then he will see how much my bf is making and will use it against me.

The matrimonial home is my home too. I have a trust claim and can prove I provided part of the down payment. My lawyer at the time advised it was fine for me to change the locks and lock him out. I didn't do anything illegal. He moved out.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X