No announcement yet.

Step-Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first it was to find out if step fathers are a statistical significantly higher risk to step daughters - Now its actually an experiment into how people REFUSE to believe something that they don't want to NO MATTER what proofs are presented.
    BULLCRAP!!! Let me remind you of what you started out the thread with:

Actually, I've found quite a bit now and yeah this is a strong/significant association with step fathers and abuse it seems.

On the flip-side its completely ignored by the court - I'll theorize the feminist agenda (women want to remarry and this hampers that).
    I really cannot tolerate people say crap like this then try to backup 100 miles an hour and not own it. Its truly cowardly not to own the garbage you say. You are so transparent its ridiculous. You're really not fooling anyone about what your agenda is. You are a raving misogynist and you hate that your ex is living her life and deciding how to parent your children in her own way during her time with them. You are threatened by the idea of your ex bringing new males into your children's lives because you have an inferiority complex a mile wide.

Let me remind you that you were suggesting that the court should consider that male step-parents are likely to molest children. THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID. And in particular, you're concerned about your own ex and, as per usual, disparaging her on this forum because she may be choosing to actually have a relationship.

Another example of this:

I was just thinking if my ex brings random male prostitutes to the home, does it pose a threat to my children - then I though, what if they aren't prostitutes but just promiscuous men and I figured I should do some research.
    Your seething loathing of your ex affects your ability to think clearly and you have these really creepy topics in your threads which I truly find disturbing. Its seems normal to have concerns that your ex might have new partners and worry about how that might affect your children. Its not normal to show constant disdain for the mother of your children by suggesting she's bringing a bunch of male prostitutes home. Its also highly disturbing that you've obsessed more than once about child molestation.

Your ex is your children's mother. The court has determined that she is capable. And as such, she is responsible to monitor the individuals that are around your children. As their mother, she's responsible to have open dialogue with them and monitor them in the event of problems. You can and should certainly have conversations with your children about talking to you and their private parts being private but that's as far as it goes.

The court won't and shouldn't consider the paranoid, creepy fears of a guy who has major control issues. No one should ever be considered guilty before they commit a crime. This isn't because of some feminist agenda...its because its fundamentally immoral and wrong not to judge individuals on their own actions.

Frankly, I think your ex is on the right track if she's bringing other male role models into your kid's lives. They need them.
    Last edited by Pursuinghappiness; 03-20-2014, 01:20 AM.

Comment

A very simple challenge - show me a valid study that assesses the impact of remarriage and step parents on the kids.

I haven't seen a single one posted yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
        A very simple challenge - show me a valid study that assesses the impact of remarriage and step parents on the kids.

I haven't seen a single one posted yet.
        A very simple challenge in deed. You are the one with the hypothesis, YOU are the one that needs to prove it. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs, and you haven't provided one.

Comment

Why doesn't the paper I posted meet that requirement?

Comment

Which one, the New Zealand study? 1200 People. Versus the Stats Canada study I quoted which interviews hundreds of thousands....

The telling part, which you quoted yourself, was that they counted incidents as child sexual abuse things such as leering and suggestive comments, which the interviewed children did not suggest were sexual abuse.

What you consistently fail to get, is that even if there is a statistical correlation between step parents and higher incidents of abuse, is that you can't apply that to your situation. Because your child's prospective step dad is a human being, who in this country has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. And the vast majority of step dads do NOT commit sexual abuse.

Let me draw a parrallel.

Here in Toronto, if you look at crime statistics, you may notice there are certain populations that are more likely involved in violent crime and murder. But if you chose one charecteristic, like skin colour, and try and apply that to all people with that skin colour, you are being racist. Because you are choosing to use one statistic to apply to a broad group of people. Instead you should look at multiple variables, like income, specific geographic areas, membership in gangs, etc. Because the vast majority of people in Toronto, of all races and creeds, are highly unlikely to be involved in violent crime (either as perpetrators or victims).

I do not believe that people become child abusers simply because they have opportunity. I think that child abusers are often victims of abuse themselves, and there are studies to show that.

Comment

I was referring to this:
              Children at Risk: The Sexual Exploitation of Female Children After Divorce by Robin Fretwell Wilson :: SSRN

DTD, I agree with everything you are saying.

I am not ASSUMING a person X with no history or no individualized signs of abuse is an abuser or will be an abuser.

All I am stating is that it "seems" there is a significant problem (in the order of ~50%) of sexual abuse of daughters of divorce. Statistically a lot of it relates to step father and some if it relates to bio dads too.

Which to me is shocking really - so:
              1. I am trying to figure if its true (asking people to post relevant counter-proofs - not personal anecdotes)
              2. If it is true, evaluate and mitigate risks in my situation.

Comment

From the study you refer to, bolding mine:

"In part, the correlation between divorce and sexual victimization is not
                surprising. Sociologists have long recognized the risk to girls in stepfamilies.

Studies of girls who grew up in stepfather households consistently find an
                elevated risk of sexual abuse, with multiple studies finding that roughly half of
                stepdaughters report sexual abuse by their stepfather or another adult.

Research findings also confirm that stepfathers represent a greater proportion
                of abusers than their incidence in the general population would suggest.

Daughters living in their father's custody are equally at risk. A national
                survey of sexual abuse risk factors found “markedly higher risk” for girls
                following their parents' divorce, “particularly when living alone with [their]
                father.”
                16 In that study, fifty percent of female children residing only with
                their father reported sexual abuse by someone, although not necessarily their
                father.
                17 Similarly, studies of households in which a mother is absent due to
                hospitalization, death, or mental illness, also report significantly elevated rates
                of sexual abuse.
                18 These studies of fractured families differ in their estimates
                of the percentage of girls molested during childhood.
                19 However, regardless
                of whether the precise number is fifty percent or even half of that, the rate
                is staggering and suggests that girls are at much greater risk after divorce

than previously imagined."

That would suggest that is divorce not step parents that are at fault.

Comment

Because the paper is subjective and "opinion evidence" that cannot be cross examined. For this purpose alone it would be removed from an affidavit as a schedule or removed from a trial record. Just because it is a "report" does not make it a "fact"... Nor does it make it a "fact" that would assist the trier of fact in trying to explain your ***CREEPY**** position ("cognitive distortions").

Opinion evidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://fosterllp.ca/site/assets/file...rtevidence.pdf

And for all the reasons that PH and DTD have already stated.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken

Comment

Finally a discussion the facts.

I am not even denying the bio-dad abuse risks, the paper talks about it.
                    All I AM saying is there IS A SIGNIFICANT increase in risk and a SIGNIFICANT amount of girls seem to be getting sexually abused. The step-father vs bio father seems to be 4 times (mentionned somewhere else in the study) but a sole custody father situation invites major risks too... thats why my first comment was HOW BLEAK.

Because the paper is subjective and "opinion evidence" that cannot be cross examined. For this purpose alone it would be removed from an affidavit as a schedule or removed from a trial record. Just because it is a "report" does not make it a "fact"... Nor does it make it a "fact" that would assist the trier of fact in trying to explain your ***CREEPY**** position ("cognitive distortions").

Opinion evidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://fosterllp.ca/site/assets/file...rtevidence.pdf

And for all the reasons that PH and DTD have already stated.
                    I wasn't claiming the paper would stand up alone in trial but IF the writer was present and cross-examined it might (I wouldn't present this in court anyways)

Don't agree with other points, neither of the 2 links seemed applicable (I look at them)

It is "creepy" - I agree - its too stigmatized to discuss and it would reflect badly probably on me.

Comment

Study: Slapping Everyone In Grocery Store, Exposing Yourself In Produce Section Still Frowned Upon By Society

According to a study published Tuesday by sociologists at Princeton University, slapping every single person in a grocery store and then baring one’s genitalia in the produce department remains an act roundly frowned upon by modern society.

Study: Slapping Everyone In Grocery Store, Exposing Yourself In Produce Section Still Frowned Upon By Society | Video | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Comment

I wasn't claiming the paper would stand up alone in trial but IF the writer was present and cross-examined it might (I wouldn't present this in court anyways)
                        What I am arguing is that the paper wouldn't even meet the first test of expert evidence and never even see the light of day. Even if you could call the "expert" as a witness to cross examine. You don't get to call any witness you want to the stand FYI.

Don't agree with other points, neither of the 2 links seemed applicable (I look at them)
                        They matter as you are presenting opinion evidence as a "fact". People are doing exactly what a justice will do. I am just providing you the information you may require to fully understand why...

If you don't understand this... You are going to really struggle in a court room.

Have you filed your Appeal already?

Good Luck!
                        Tayken

Comment

Finally a discussion the facts.

I am not even denying the bio-dad abuse risks, the paper talks about it.
                          All I AM saying is there IS A SIGNIFICANT increase in risk and a SIGNIFICANT amount of girls seem to be getting sexually abused. The step-father vs bio father seems to be 4 times (mentionned somewhere else in the study) but a sole custody father situation invites major risks too... thats why my first comment was HOW BLEAK.

It is "creepy" - I agree - its too stigmatized to discuss and it would reflect badly probably on me.
                          Even if I accept that paper, and I don't as I don't see statistical analysis, the one sentance that I bolded states that the risk is equal. That blows away your entire argument.

And Tayken is correct, any defense lawyer would find that and use it in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                            What I am arguing is that the paper wouldn't even meet the first test of expert evidence and never even see the light of day. Even if you could call the "expert" as a witness to cross examine. You don't get to call any witness you want to the stand FYI.
                            This is purely academic, but can you be more specific. The writer is a lawyer who perhaps specializes in the topic - doesn't that meet the requirement for expert witness?

They matter as you are presenting opinion evidence as a "fact". People are doing exactly what a justice will do. I am just providing you the information you may require to fully understand why...
                            Opinion Evidence is something (according to the wikipedia article) that regualr witnesses do - its almost mutually exclusive to an expert witness. Once an expert witness is accepted as such they in fact seem to be "allowed" to provide opinion evidence (all this is based on the wikipedia article you linked)

If you don't understand this... You are going to really struggle in a court room.

Have you filed your Appeal already?
                            I'm very stupid apparently, I make less than minimum wage and I work full-time .

Appeal is filed/accepting and awaiting the hearing and of May if they don't postpone....

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
                              Even if I accept that paper, and I don't as I don't see statistical analysis, the one sentance that I bolded states that the risk is equal. That blows away your entire argument.

And Tayken is correct, any defense lawyer would find that and use it in court.
                              The paper is meta-study - it gathers MANY other studies together to produce a conclusion. Each of those papers individually do the statistical analysis (controls etc...)

Like I said, it seems the statistical evidence shows sole father custody does often result in sexual abuse as well (not at the the hands of the father though) but my refutation stands that step-fathers are 4x more likely.

Comment

This is purely academic, but can you be more specific. The writer is a lawyer who perhaps specializes in the topic - doesn't that meet the requirement for expert witness?
                                The papers I provide are for informational purposes to help you come up with your own answers. If you don't agree. You are free to. They are not evidence or "proof" to anything. Only a learning aid to assist you and others.

You have to come to your own conclusions on the information presented in the paper on that author's opinion on "opinion evidence". I share a similar viewpoint as the authors because I have seen first-hand a number of hearings where litigants attempt to present "papers" such as what you are doing to support their "arguments" and FAIL.

The paper that I provided is, in my opinion, representative of how justices will view the "evidence" you are presenting. You can take it or leave it.

Your choice on what you do with the information... You are free to disregard it if you would like.

Good Luck!
                                Tayken
                                Last edited by Tayken; 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X