• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant Post

Testing ... last 5 trys to post bring back an error

Married in 1990
    Separated and divorced in 2001
    Kids were 2, 7 and 8 at the the time
    Kids are now 12, 17 and 18 all living at home.
    Wife not working at time of divorce. She had a history of consistent working but was tending to children at the time in history. Has been working for 8 years with steady job making $13/hour but with her skills should be making around $25/hour. She likes her job and the people so not motivated to look elsewhere.
    Was paying $2500/month spousal way back when
    In 2005 went back and had it lowered to $980/month with a review possible in Sept 2005.
    I never pursued lowering it since until a few weeks ago.
    Signed over house and a car to wife in 2005.
    It has now been 10 years of spousal and child. I have no problem with child support obviously but should the spousal be over?
    I sent her an offer of $400/month for spousal for next 12 months and spousal then ends in a year. She said "see you in court". My lawyer says that it should end.
    She firmly believes she is entitled to this and says I am lucky she has never gone after a cost of living increase. My understanding is that Spousal is designed to assist the disadvantaged spouse for a reasonable period of time until they can become financially self supportive.
    What say ye good folks? Is a court likely to say "enough is enough", "lower it dramatically", "keep it going" or (sigh) "she gets more".
    Thanks

Comment

.5 to 1 year ss per year of marrige. It can be indefinate if years of marriage and the recpient's age add up to 65+. For your length of marriage you have paid sufficiently. Your offer is more than fair. A court might come to a similar result or might simply end ss.

You do need to make complete arguments and researching valid job opportunities @$25/hr and getting verified evidece of such would be a good idea.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X