My son ignores me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son ignores me

My 15 year old son is out of control I haven’t heard from him in over a year , when I found out he was selling and using pot
    He has never gotten one high school credit and is now charged with two counts of assault and got hold of a tattoo gun and ruined his skin
    His mum just bitches at me about him and picks text fights with me She wanted me to take him and I said yes of course but now she refuses
    What the hell am I supposed to do
    They live on a reserve 6 hours away I don’t have money for a lawyer and I spoke with thru my e a p and they said I would never get custody and he can decide where he wants to live

He can decide where he wants to live and as he is still under the age of majority you are obligated to pay support. At this point there is really nothing you can do except continue to reach out to him and offer support and advice on turning his life around. When he turns 18, file paperwork to stop paying aupport.

Comment

Thanks for the reply , but I looking more towards what do about his well-being then cancelling support payments

Comment

Theres nothing you can do. Its the same thing if your kid wanted to run away from home or stop living with you. In your case your ex refuses to work with you to help his behaviour. You can keep trying to work with him and encourage him to make better decisions but if he doesnt want to listen to you, he doesnt have to.

Comment

How much info do you have on the assault charges? Since he is a minor can you contact the police and find out what his bail conditions are, or can the Mother tell you. Since the child is still a minor can you contact CAS and have them do a visit and see what conditions he is living under? If you can provide him a more stable environment with more access to resources and even activities to keep him outta trouble (assuming you live in a bigger city). I am thinking you may be able to help him with the assault charges. Just a long shot, my kids are still young, I am dreading the teenage years, so my advice may be useless.

Comment

I'd look at this from another angle.
            How did he come to live on the reserve? Is the mother a band member?
            Contact band office and see about meeting with their resource people. They probably have many counselors you could meet with. Have a talk with the band police. If your son is not a member and is bad news they may be quite motivated to assist you.

Comment

Originally posted by nomad View Post
              They live on a reserve 6 hours away I don’t have money for a lawyer and I spoke with thru my e a p and they said I would never get custody and he can decide where he wants to live
              Are you aboriginal?

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/getting/aboriginal.asp

You may qualify for legal aid.

Comment

No my ex is living with some one of status my sons are not native

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X