Thread: Why court?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by representingself View Post
"How can two parents who love their child allow a total stranger to make crucial decisions about their child's living arrangements, health, education, extracurricular activities, vacation time, and degree of contact with each parent?"
One of my favourite quotes from the Honourable Mr. Justice Brownstone in that book but, he does go on to explain the reasons mediated solutions don't work for all couples. In the end it all boils down to "maturity" which he should probably rephrase as "emotional maturity". Balanced expectations and good advice to both parties is often the challenge. In the case in which one of the parties harbours anxiety, fears or worries about the other party and feels that their concerns are valid and that the other party may "trick" them or they will be "forced" to think rationally about the situation... They will often run to the court with a negative advocate solicitor in attempt to "win" in court, will constantly threaten costs, and if they don't succeed at first they will try try again.

The most highly conflicted litigants will often continue their distortion campaign through the professionals, refuse to communicate and in the extreme situations use their professionals to bully you, threaten you and your family and ultimately try to create fear, uncertainty and doubt in you.

What I find amusing is that these "truisms" regarding highly conflicted individuals in matrimonial situations are well known and more than enough books have been written (i.e. High Conflict People in Legal Disputes, Its All Your Fault!) about the problem.

The only thing that conflict creates in a matrimonial dispute is large bills for lawyers and litigants being left with nothing.

Good Luck!
Tayken