Double Dipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Dipping

I was really struggling adjusting to being a single Mom with 2 special needs children, with little help from my ex. Since our motion in March and his access increased from 2 to 6 nights a month, its been so much better. During that stressful time a social worker helped me fill out paperwork for funding for respite care, it was at least 6 months ago and I figured I didnt get it and simply forgot about it. Well turns out I did qualify and now get $2,000 this year in respite care.

Meanwhile a Judge awarded me $2,400 for daycare/camp/respite care for the summer. And ex must pay additional babysitting fees if he skips out on his access time.

Now I feel I am double dipping. The few nights or on my weekend I required addition help, my Mom comes.

We have another case conference coming up, I wouldnt want a Judge to think this was intentional. I am thinking just not to submit the receipts to get the funding.

What would you do???

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
    I was really struggling adjusting to being a single Mom with 2 special needs children, with little help from my ex. Since our motion in March and his access increased from 2 to 6 nights a month, its been so much better. During that stressful time a social worker helped me fill out paperwork for funding for respite care, it was at least 6 months ago and I figured I didnt get it and simply forgot about it. Well turns out I did qualify and now get $2,000 this year in respite care.

Meanwhile a Judge awarded me $2,400 for daycare/camp/respite care for the summer. And ex must pay additional babysitting fees if he skips out on his access time.

Now I feel I am double dipping. The few nights or on my weekend I required addition help, my Mom comes.

We have another case conference coming up, I wouldnt want a Judge to think this was intentional. I am thinking just not to submit the receipts to get the funding.

What would you do???

Can u treat it like a subsidy? Take the funding and then your ex an you split whatever other needs for respite costs there are above and beyond that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have to put the money out front first for a qualified caregiver then get reimbursed. I just dont think I need it now. I could ask the ex, but I cant see how he would need it either. Unless he could argue in court that he shouldn't have to pay the $2,400 Section 7 expenses and the funding should cover it. At the time I applied, I was not receiving much financial support from the ex, but currently I am receiving full table support and Section 7.

I already receive full subsidy for the 3 year old in daycare. Sometimes I feel like the government is financially supporting these kids and not the parents.

Comment

I would have to put the money out front first for a qualified caregiver then get reimbursed. I just dont think I need it now. I could ask the ex, but I cant see how he would need it either. Unless he could argue in court that he shouldn't have to pay the $2,400 Section 7 expenses and the funding should cover it. At the time I applied, I was not receiving much financial support from the ex, but currently I am receiving full table support and Section 7.

I already receive full subsidy for the 3 year old in daycare. Sometimes I feel like the government is financially supporting these kids and not the parents.

I see what you mean. Just be honest. That goes a long way and if you don’t need the subsidy someone else will get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

*Edited to remove quoted offensive content.

I need someone to watch the child while I work, he is one of those "Retarded people with autism" (your words, not mine).

Hold on, let me check with the ex to see if he can watch him, opps No, he is still on "stress leave".

My apologizes in advance to the other helpful members, I couldn't resist.
          Last edited by blinkandimgone; 05-09-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

If you need daycare to work it is a section 7 expense.

As we have said before, you cannot force a parent to take the children and your ex is a classic example of this. Submit them as section 7 (less the tax deduction and subsidy) and stop worrying. Unfortunately this single mom life is your new reality.

Comment

That's right wing thinking. They control the media, but that doesn't make them correct.

The government supports roads. The government supports police. The government supports parks. The government supports the negotiation of trade agreements.

Subsidized daycare for working parents makes it more likely they will work. Subsidized taxes for rich companies lets rich people buy more toys from other countries. I know where I would rather have the government spend money.

I like M2T's idea of treating it as a subsidy, but to be honest I didn't think about it much.

Also, thanks to blink for the moderation, it was a really annoying slur. Made me think a lot less of him.

Comment

I am not a very political person, but I do know the parents in the Autism community are worried about funding being cut under Doug Ford.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X