No announcement yet.

Grandparents Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If she is using her lawyer than she would be paying for it. I would make it clear to her that you are not responsible for the cost of this. When you go to the lawyers office, before you sign, tell the lawyer that you are not paying for this, that your ex is responsible for the cost. If they try to say you have to pay, get up and leave. If she needs the letter, she needs to pay, regardless of the cost.

Comment

If you're a member of the CAA, you can get a commissioner for oaths to witness your signature there for free. Many workplaces also have commissioners for oaths - check with your HR department.

There's really no need to have a lawyer deal with this - all that needs to happen is for someone to confirm that you are the same person whose name appears on the document as a signatory. I suggest just getting it done yourself and sending the letter to her.

Do you have the itinerary yet? I think it would be wise to make sure the information for this specific trip is in the letter, rather than a general consent to have the kids travel with the grandparents anywhere anytime.

Comment

We have always just used this one:
        Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad - Travel.gc.ca

I think that's what you were referring to.

I would want to make the form myself to ensure that the basic template was followed. Otherwise you need to look at every word to make sure nothing was snuck in to change the meaning. Maybe I am being a little suspicious.

To fill it out you need all the information about the trip - location, contact details, dates and in mine I even put the light details. She might be trying to have you sign it and not get a copy for your records or something?

In my mind it's all in her hands since she has yet to provide trip details to you. That's the first step she needs to do. If she hasn't done that you are not holding up anything at all.

Do you know if she's going?

Comment

Also for the most part we have used notaries not lawyers to have the forms made official.

Comment

Thanks guys,

So shes reluctant to give much of an itinerary (raised eyebrow), and I finally just had to say if she needed to get her own letter then thats what shed have to do.

Another thing has arisen that Im questioning,

Quite simply, she wants a legal document saying I agree to give her parents consent to make medical decisions for our child. Also wants this notarized too.....

Ive already got the one letter notarized, Ive never heard of having to provide anything like this, from what I understand I only need to provide the letter of consent to travel.

I can supply one if its necessary thats not a big issue, but Im somewhat leery about making these kinds of agreements and getting them all done 'legally', has anyone else ever had to supply a letter consenting to this? Any advise on this one?

Thanks so much guys,

Comment

I have never heard of that. Presumably it would only be for the period of the trip?

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGreen View Post
                Thanks guys,

So shes reluctant to give much of an itinerary (raised eyebrow), and I finally just had to say if she needed to get her own letter then thats what shed have to do.

Another thing has arisen that Im questioning,

Quite simply, she wants a legal document saying I agree to give her parents consent to make medical decisions for our child. Also wants this notarized too.....

Ive already got the one letter notarized, Ive never heard of having to provide anything like this, from what I understand I only need to provide the letter of consent to travel.

I can supply one if its necessary thats not a big issue, but Im somewhat leery about making these kinds of agreements and getting them all done 'legally', has anyone else ever had to supply a letter consenting to this? Any advise on this one?

Thanks so much guys,
                A world of no to this request. If there is a genuine emergency, service providers will provide urgent medical services whether or not they have a notarized letter. If it's not a genuine emergency, grandparents can consult with you and Mom as needed. I can't think of any reason for this request, unless one of the kids has complex medical needs that might have to be managed while s/he is away.

Just say no. Your ex is either being weird just because she can, or she's up to something with all these requests for notarized papers. All she needs from you is a standard travel consent for the trip with your signature witnessed. And if she doesn't give you an itinerary, you shouldn't give her even that. No blanket travel consents, no blanket medical consents.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGreen View Post
                  Standard and forms part of a typically prepared lawyer travel declaration. This is what a typical one can look like:

re: name of child, dob, passport#:

1. I am the natural mother/father and parent of *kidlet*. I share custody with *kidlet's* other parent, **.
                  2. *Kidlet* will be travelling with the kidlet's **, departing on or about ***, Flight ##, Airline, for a holiday in ** .
                  3. During her holiday, *Kidlet* will be in the custody and care of the said ** and will be staying at ** .
                  4. *Kidlet* will be returning on or about **, on Flight ##, Airline.
                  5. ** has my full consent to travel with *Kidlet* during this time.
                  6. I hereby authorize and consent to ** making any medical decisions for *Kidlet* during her travel, should same become necessary.
                  Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

^^^^ I wasn't aware a medical treatment clause was standard practice - thanks for catching me up.

Comment

We always use a travel form even if we are going across within the country. When we went to France from England they grilled my daughter and I as we were travelling with my current husband with a different name. I brought letter (notarized), court order with custody and long form birth certificate just in case.
                      The itinerary and contact number is a must.

Ive never done anything like this. Ive given my kids care card when traveling with grandparents, but never a note. Good luck hope everything works out

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X