Can I file emergency custody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I file emergency custody?

We have shared 50/50 custody of my step children. Our children were introduced to their mother’s most recent boyfriend and already living with him within 60 days of meeting him. Our children have indicated that the new boyfriend is already disciplining them and has aggressively grabbed my step son on two occasions by the arm and shoulder. The children are scared to return to their mother’s home for the weekend. Can anyone give me some advice on what recourse we should take? Emotionally speaking we want to protect them but at the same time we don’t want to do anything that may negatively affect us in the eyes of the law or judge. WWYD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they old enough to call cas?

Comment

They are 11 and 8 years old.

Comment

I'll make a flowchart:

1) Is something bad about to happen to the kids in the next few minutes?

Yes - Call the police
        No - Go to step 2

2) Is something bad about to happen to the kids in the next few days?

Yes - Call CAS or your local child protective services agency
        No - Go to step 3

3) This is not an emergency, despite what you feel. Do you believe that?

Yes - Go to step 4
        No - Go to step 3

4) Do you have evidence that mother is being a ridiculously bad parent?

Yes - Go to step 5
        No - Start collecting evidence, nothing to do yet.

5) Is your evidence "my child told me bad things were happening?

Yes - You don't have evidence, go back to step 4 and answer "no"
        No - Talk to a lawyer and get to court!

Comment

Can I file emergency custody?

Originally posted by Janus View Post
          I'll make a flowchart:

1) Is something bad about to happen to the kids in the next few minutes?

Yes - Call the police

No - Go to step 2

2) Is something bad about to happen to the kids in the next few days?

Yes - Call CAS or your local child protective services agency

No - Go to step 3

3) This is not an emergency, despite what you feel. Do you believe that?

Yes - Go to step 4

No - Go to step 3

4) Do you have evidence that mother is being a ridiculously bad parent?

Yes - Go to step 5

No - Start collecting evidence, nothing to do yet.

5) Is your evidence "my child told me bad things were happening?

Yes - You don't have evidence, go back to step 4 and answer "no"

No - Talk to a lawyer and get to court!

Thank you Janus, this makes a lot of sense.

Both these children do not have a history of behavioural issues. They are good students and have barely ever had an altercation in their school environment. Up until now, they’ve been pretty balanced happy go lucky children.

Would you suggest we see their Pediatrician and get them a therapist so that they have an outlet?

Maybe this will help us with documentation? Put the other parents on notice that the kids are talking to a third party?

Comment

Another option instead of therapy, would be to speak with the school. Most school have staff that are trained to offer kids an outlet / safe place. Often times it is done in such a way that the child doesn't feel "forced" to talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2414 View Post
              Thank you Janus, this makes a lot of sense.

Both these children do not have a history of behavioural issues. They are good students and have barely ever had an altercation in their school environment. Up until now, they’ve been pretty balanced happy go lucky children.

Would you suggest we see their Pediatrician and get them a therapist so that they have an outlet?

Maybe this will help us with documentation? Put the other parents on notice that the kids are talking to a third party?

Therapy is good if your actually doing it to help your kids. Not just for documentation...

My kids were in therapy to deal with how dad treated them and school behaviours 1.5 years before court started and it hasn’t really done much to help out case.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X