This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home equity split

My girlfriend and i bought a house together prior to even living together, but we have a child together, so we became commonlaw right away. I put down 10,000$ more than she did on the house, but both of us have our names on the mortgage.
    When we separate, do we split the equity of the house equally, or do I get a higher proportion since I put more money in when we bought it (before we were even common law)????
    Thanks for all your input! I love this site.

Originally posted by Helpj View Post
    My girlfriend and i bought a house together prior to even living together, but we have a child together, so we became commonlaw right away. I put down 10,000$ more than she did on the house, but both of us have our names on the mortgage.
    When we separate, do we split the equity of the house equally, or do I get a higher proportion since I put more money in when we bought it (before we were even common law)????
    Thanks for all your input! I love this site.
    You will get your $10k more than she did, but you will split the growth in equity from purchase date.

Comment

If they live in the house for long enough, won't it be regarded as a matrimonial house? if so, he won't get much chance to get his down back....unless they have a contract.

Comment

They are common law, not married.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X