No announcement yet.

Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, using your $50 number. They think you should owe $100, how much do you think you should owe?

Comment

I'm not sure, It will be quite difficult to prove since 90% of what I had was accumulated prior to the marriage. Not an easy task. At the end the lawyers will win. As for interest, its debatable. I have tried to settle but she keeps on refusing. So should interest still be added, and to what amount???

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
        I'm not sure, It will be quite difficult to prove since 90% of what I had was accumulated prior to the marriage. Not an easy task. At the end the lawyers will win. As for interest, its debatable. I have tried to settle but she keeps on refusing. So should interest still be added, and to what amount???
        You are so difficult to follow.

So, now you are complaining that some of your assets were acquired before marriage? So this isn't about interest any longer?

This is your argument:

"I don't know what is fair, but you are wrong! Let's fight, but fighting will destroy us. This is your fault though for being wrong"

You need to figure out what is fair, and then make an offer to settle. I think the problem is that you don't even have an idea of what is fair, you just don't want her to get anything.

Your attempts to blame her entirely for the delay are also ineffective and paint you as being unreasonable. I would drop that line of attack.

Comment

Janus, thanks for you input, but I have been very fair in my offers. At one point I even had to sign I statement that I was acting against my lawyers advise. I had offered my ex way more than what I was supposed to just to get it over. I want nothing more than to get this over - it has been almost 15 years that it has hung over my head. However, when you just keep on blowing money and your ex is never happy it goes to a stand still. I still pay over 1000 a month in child support even tough my kids are older, and have finished school. I'm even considering buying them a home just so they don't have to pay ridicules amounts for rent. Sometimes even though you think you are being fair the other party doesn't think so. Your lucky you and your wife worked it out and you were able to close that chapter in your life. Not everyone is the same..
          Last edited by OB1; 07-16-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I'm a tad confused by this thread.

So you haven't paid/settled on the house a/o matrimonial assets yet after 15 years?
            If that is the case then I totally agree with Janus and would even go so far as to add in "penalty".

Must be nice to be able to keep all that money in your jeans.

Comment

Arabian,

Not as easy as you make it out. I have offered her many offers, as a matter of fact when we completed mediation back in 2016 and had agreed on a settlement she was supposed to have her lawyer draw up the agreement. This never happened, instead she text me and said she had changed the meditation report and would have her lawyer mail it to me. That was 3 years ago.
              I still pay child support even though my kids both finished school, and also help them in any way I can

Comment

I still pay child support even though my kids both finished school, and also help them in any way I can
                You give money to your ex for children that are not in school?

But you are fighting about interest rates?

Comment

I'm not fighting as you say. I'm simply asking how interest calculations work.

Comment

I'm not fighting as you say. I'm simply asking how interest calculations work.
                    As I already said, if you just look at interest rates, it would be about 30% over 15 years. If you look at how much you could have earned by investing in index funds, it would be about 200%.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/market_cagr.htm

So if you owed her $100,000 in equalization 15 years ago, the appropriate amount to pay her now, including interest, would be in the range of:

$130,000 to $300,000

Presumably the proper number is somewhere between those two figures.

Comment

Now that that is taken care of, curious minds want to know..... Why are you still paying CS?!?

Comment

I know my ex pays a lot in rent to live where she is. Even though my kids are 19 and 23 I still have a responsibility to them. That's just they way my European parents raised me. I will never abandon them financially. I will always make sure the have a roof over their head and food. Therefore, as long as they need it I will pay child support. Yes, I know I could stop but this is my choice.

Comment

Why not just take that CS money and start building up an "interest on equalization" fund?

Assuming that you are able to declare some of your assets as "pre-marital" assets, then that will gravely hurt the financial position of your ex. Are you ok with that? Won't that make it hard for her to pay rent?

Assuming that her financial position matters to you, why not just accept her lawyer's demands, and save the legal fees?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X