Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child support calculations over $150,000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support calculations over $150,000?

I have read in some places that when your income is over $150,000 they may amend the child support tables. I have been divorced for 5 years and my daughter is turning 7 soon. My income is about $400,000/year right now but it was only about $75,000 when my ex and I split up.

My ex has custody (given voluntarily due to bad advice) and I have visitation a couple of days every week.

I'm currently paying over $3,000 a month to my ex (who has since remarried to someone making decent income and she works full time) and that seems excessive given how much it costs to raise a child.

I have no problems paying but when I'm losing almost 55% of my income to taxes it seems like a little much to pay over $3k.

Thoughts?

So you are complaining that you will be forced to live on just under 200,000 per year? There are some dads on here making 30 and have half their salary handed over. Dads who have to live on couches to pay their cs.

If you and your ex hand’t split then your child would be raised in a home with a “decent” income.

Comment

My thoughts are you don’t have a strong case to reduce support... her new partner has little to do with it. My husband forks over $1000 a month in CS and his income is no where near yours...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You're in the worst possible bracket for taxes and child support. But you know what, you're still making bank.

In all fairness, If your income is over 150K a year, then there really is no table amount. My question is, how did you guys get to the $3000 a month? How long has it been in place for? Is it in a court order?

One way to reduce it is if you can get your kids half of the time. It may not be much of a reduction at all if her income is low.

Her new partners income Is irrelevant, but so is yours - you could get a new partner who makes also $400,000 K a year and your ex wouldn't see a dime of that.

If you have a good case for sole custody of your kid, I.e, she turns 12 and decides to live with you, then your ex would pay you, and you wouldn't pay anything.

You may able to work with your ex to agree to a fair amount, but if she's already getting $3000 a month, then well, she's not going to just agree to a less amount and is going to want to know why you originally agreed to pay $3000 a month. Trust me, my lawyer had to whip my ex around in court for 6 months before she finally listened to the judges and agreed to a fair amount of child support - zero dollars in my case.

Your case is complicated though because you are already paying $3000 and even if you weren't one of those nasty sexist judges would make sure you do. Impartial and fair judges who appreciate men and fathers are rare and far in between. Either have to be really liked by the judge or have a good lawyer who has a good working relationship with the judge over your ex and her lawyer to get good results here. It's not cut and dry. It's as grey as the new 2020 Acura ILX.

Yes, taxes are unfair, just as is child support. There are mothers living the dream while there are dads sleeping on couches and even cases of dads committing suicide due to this child support non sense our country unfortunately has. But if you think life is fair, then you should go to a convenient store and purchase a lottery ticket.

You're just paying because you are a good person and you follow our laws and set a good example for your kids. But you are also a good person because you also point out flaws in the legal system and voice out your concerns just as every good citizen would - also a way to set good example for kids. Don't be afraid to speak up.
        Last edited by tunnelight; 08-13-2019, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          So you are complaining that you will be forced to live on just under 200,000 per year? There are some dads on here making 30 and have half their salary handed over. Dads who have to live on couches to pay their cs.

If you and your ex hand’t split then your child would be raised in a home with a “decent” income.
          So if there are dads who have to live on couches to pay their CS, and if the ex's hadn't split up argument holds true, then would the child still have been raised in a home where dad would live on a couch?

Or is it only a valid argument for dads who make bank?
          Last edited by tunnelight; 08-13-2019, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
            You're in the worst possible bracket for taxes and child support. But you know what, you're still making bank.

In all fairness, If your income is over 150K a year, then there really is no table amount. My question is, how did you guys get to the $3000 a month? How long has it been in place for? Is it in a court order?

One way to reduce it is if you can get your kids half of the time. It may not be much of a reduction at all if her income is low.

Her new partners income Is irrelevant, but so is yours - you could get a new partner who makes also $400,000 K a year and your ex wouldn't see a dime of that.

If you have a good case for sole custody of your kid, I.e, she turns 12 and decides to live with you, then your ex would pay you, and you wouldn't pay anything.

You may able to work with your ex to agree to a fair amount, but if she's already getting $3000 a month, then well, she's not going to just agree to a less amount and is going to want to know why you originally agreed to pay $3000 a month. Trust me, my lawyer had to whip my ex around in court for 6 months before she finally listened to the judges and agreed to a fair amount of child support - zero dollars in my case.

Your case is complicated though because you are already paying $3000 and even if you weren't one of those nasty sexist judges would make sure you do. Impartial and fair judges who appreciate men and fathers are rare and far in between. Either have to be really liked by the judge or have a good lawyer who has a good working relationship with the judge over your ex and her lawyer to get good results here. It's not cut and dry. It's as grey as the new 2020 Acura ILX.

Yes, taxes are unfair, just as is child support. There are mothers living the dream while there are dads sleeping on couches and even cases of dads committing suicide due to this child support non sense our country unfortunately has. But if you think life is fair, then you should go to a convenient store and purchase a lottery ticket.

You're just paying because you are a good person and you follow our laws and set a good example for your kids. But you are also a good person because you also point out flaws in the legal system and voice out your concerns just as every good citizen would - also a way to set good example for kids. Don't be afraid to speak up.

This is terrible advice. Your ex has had status quo for seven years.

Comment

Tunnelight’s advice summarized:

1) Try to change a 7 year status quo without any material change in circumstance, for the sole reason of trying to pay less support

2) Find yourself a new girlfriend who makes a ton of money. This will increase your household income but won’t increase your CS..... This might be the most realistic option of all this advice just a) make sure you don’t under-employ yourself once said gf moves in, you will most certainly have income imputed upon you, b) make sure said gf makes as much or more than you, otherwise you may be stuck paying spousal support after you break up, and c) don’t have more kids with this new gf

3) Once your kid turns 12, start trying to convince them to live with you full time for the sole purpose of paying no child support AND possibly receiving child support (double cha-ching)

4) Talk to your ex and try to convince her that you should pay less. Depending on the type of person she is, this may work, but as tunnelight suggests, it probably won’t.

5) Hire a really expensive lawyer to drag everyone back to court over this and hope and pray you get a judge who is sympathetic to someone who makes $400,000 a year and voluntarily gave up custody of their child 7 years ago (spoiler alert: this won’t happen, you will pay your ex’s costs)

6) Keep paying your CS like a good citizen, but also complain really loudly about it every chance you get, to set a good example for your kids (another spoiler alert: making $400,000/year, this will just make you look silly to the people you are complaining to)

Comment

So if there are dads who have to live on couches to pay their CS, and if the ex's hadn't split up argument holds true, then would the child still have been raised in a home where dad would live on a couch?

Or is it only a valid argument for dads who make bank?

Pretty sure at his income level he isn’t living in a couch... if he is, he has bigger issues than the Cs he is paying.

Comment

Not to mention that her new partner is not responsible for supporting someone else’s child. How would OP feel if he repartnered and his new spouses ex said screw this, her new guy makes 400g so he can support my kid.

You quadrupled your income in seven years, good for you, but your child is still your child and deserves to enjoy that income too. Get a financial advisor and/or tax accountant and see why you aren’t keeping more of your money.

Comment

Originally posted by workinghard View Post
                    I'm currently paying over $3,000 a month to my ex and that seems excessive given how much it costs to raise a child.
                    The cost of raising a child for a parent that makes over 400k is substantially more than 3k per month. The costs tend to scale with the income of the parents.

Anyhow, as others have said, you voluntarily gave up your kid. You have no hope of changing it right now. Try to make the parenting times you do have with your kids as wonderful as possible. Maybe try to get an extra day in every now and then. Creep your way up to 50%, you cannot jump there with this many years of status quo against you. Assume it will be at least 3 years before you can creep your way up enough to make a reasonable claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                      Pretty sure at his income level he isn’t living in a couch... if he is, he has bigger issues than the Cs he is paying.

You clearly missed the point.

If you, the females, the perceived child support recipients, are claiming that child support is to equalize life in both homes, then why does it have tendency to leave fathers to have to live on a couch?

Another perspective, if ex re married another rich guy (assuming she only goes after rich guys) and is making way more than this guy combined, them how exactly does the 3000 from this man equalize the households? Child support is flawed in so many ways and you all know it. Quit band wagoning and milking people's hard earned money.

Though my advice was not to do any of those things, and though I don't give advice, nor am qualified to do so, I can confirm I voluntarily gave up my kids too back in 2012 due to duty counsel negligence. close to 7 years later, I got 50.50. 7 years is a significant passage of a time. The child was a toddler at that time. Child is school age now. That's a huge material change in itself.

I laughed in the face of status quo. The weakest most single ridiculous argument to maximize child support(blood money) and maintain power and control.

All children deserve to have both their parents in their life each at least half of the time. I agree with Janus to start requesting expanded access immediately. Don't ask for 50.50 right from get go, I certainly didn't, start with small increments and work your way up. If she refuses to cooperate, take her to court without hesitation. Don't miss out time with your daughter because she will grow up fast. Don't be the sore loser dad who doesn't fight for what's best for his kids. Give your ex the battle of her lifetime if she's fixated on gatekeeping your parenting time by taking an ignorant stance and arguing status quo.

Your child should have more time with you, I don't envy you, my friend. Let her whine and moan you just want it to reduce child support all she wants. My ex sure did, and her 3 lawyers all sure did, I just basically laughed in their faces because I knew they just wanted the $3000 flat cash!!
                      Last edited by tunnelight; 08-13-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                        Get a financial advisor and/or tax accountant and see why you aren’t keeping more of your money.
                        No need. He can just come here and ask. And the answer is simple.

Comment

If you, the females, the perceived child support recipients, are claiming that child support is to equalize life in both homes, then why does it have tendency to leave fathers to have to live on a couch?

Another perspective, if ex re married another rich guy (assuming she only goes after rich guys) and is making way more than this guy combined, them how exactly does the 3000 from this man equalize the households? Child support is flawed in so many ways and you all know it. Quit band wagoning and milking people's hard earned money.

Though my advice was not to do any of those things, and though I don't give advice, nor am qualified to do so, I can confirm I voluntarily gave up my kids too back in 2012 due to duty counsel negligence. close to 7 years later, I got 50.50. 7 years is a significant passage of a time. The child was a toddler at that time. Child is school age now. That's a huge material change in itself.

I laughed in the face of status quo. The weakest most single ridiculous argument to maximize child support(blood money) and maintain power and control.

All children deserve to have both their parents in their life each at least half of the time. I agree with Janus to start requesting expanded access immediately. Don't ask for 50.50 right from get go, I certainly didn't, start with small increments and work your way up.

Your child should have more time with you, I don't envy you, my friend. Let her whine and moan you just want it to reduce child support all she wants. My ex sure did, and her 3 lawyers all sure did, I just basically laughed in their faces because I knew they just wanted the $3000 flat cash!!

I didn’t even read more than a few lines of your rant but just so you’re aware, I don’t receive CS... my husband pays a good amount of it though to his ex, the two kids we have together don’t get $1000 a month spent on them, but he pays $1000 a month for his first two children... one wouldn’t have to pay as much CS if they were equal parents and didn’t give up their children... my husband also gave up his children 10 years ago because he thought that’s the way it was done, he thought moms always win and he walked away from the house so his kids didn’t have to move... years later he realized his mistake but he continues to be an EOW father to his first two kids because he has zero grounds to change it... a passage of time is only one aspect

Comment

All children deserve to have both their parents in their life each at least half of the time. I agree with Janus to start requesting expanded access immediately. Don't ask for 50.50 right from get go, I certainly didn't, start with small increments and work your way up. If she refuses to cooperate, take her to court without hesitation. Don't miss out time with your daughter because she will grow up fast. Don't be the sore loser dad who doesn't fight for what's best for his kids. Give your ex the battle of her lifetime if she's fixated on gatekeeping your parenting time by taking an ignorant stance and arguing status quo.

[emoji849]

Considering you blast others about reading into things and making assumption I find it laughable how you project your experience on this. Note that the OP did not say anything about his child or wanting more time. Simply that his income has quadrupled and he loses most of it to taxes so he finds the monthly child support excessive. If he had come in here saying he wanted more time and he wanted to do more and he was being denied there may have been a different response. You can pretty much gauge the situation based on what is left out and the lack of follow up response.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                              I didn’t even read more than a few lines of your rant but
                              I didn't read anything you wrote but here read what I'm about to write.

Yeah okay.. take a hike lady!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X