Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is very difficult and illegal to take somone else's child and have them undergo a comprehensive physical medical examination to support suspicions of sexual abuse.

This role is indeed rested upon the CAS for child protection matters to investigate allegations. However, If the allegation is investigated and turns out to be unfounded, and the matter is brought up in another custody adjudications of another child, that involves the same parties the person that made the unfounded allegation could have some problems explaining it to the court. It gives the other side ammo.

If at all possible have someone else make the call to the CAS that is not involved in the pending custody adjudication.

Comment

That was my point exactly. That you CAN'T wait for rock solid proof.

If you have to you can always make an anonymous complaint as well, but again this isn't always taken as seriously. If it comes down to a choice of a child's safety and my court case I will ALWAYS choose the kid.

Comment

I copied this off the CAS web page. I believe all suspect child abuse should be reported, regardless of any custody battles.

When should I contact a Children's Aid Society?

If you are being or have been abused or neglected, or you are afraid you will be.
        If you are aware of a child or youth who may be abused or neglected.
        If you believe on reasonable grounds that a child or youth under 16 is or may be in need of protection the law requires you to report this to the Children's Aid Society.
        If you know or suspect that a child is exposed to domestic violence.
        If, as a parent, you find the pressures of family life becoming overwhelming and you are afraid you may take it out on your children.
        If you need help regarding a pregnancy.
        If, as a teenager, you are experiencing serious conflict in your family.
        [ top ]

What if I'm not sure if a child is being abused?

If you have any concerns about a child, any suspicions that the child is or is at risk of being abused or neglected, please call us. You don't have to be positive. We will talk with you about your concerns, and answer your questions. We will investigate and determine if the child is at risk. Regardless of whether the child is at risk or not, you'll know that you did the right thing by calling.

When should I contact a Children's Aid Society?

If you are being or have been abused or neglected, or you are afraid you will be.
        If you are aware of a child or youth who may be abused or neglected.
        If you believe on reasonable grounds that a child or youth under 16 is or may be in need of protection the law requires you to report this to the Children's Aid Society.
        If you know or suspect that a child is exposed to domestic violence.
        If, as a parent, you find the pressures of family life becoming overwhelming and you are afraid you may take it out on your children.
        If you need help regarding a pregnancy.
        If, as a teenager, you are experiencing serious conflict in your family.
        [ top ]

What if I'm not sure if a child is being abused?

If you have any concerns about a child, any suspicions that the child is or is at risk of being abused or neglected, please call us. You don't have to be positive. We will talk with you about your concerns, and answer your questions. We will investigate and determine if the child is at risk. Regardless of whether the child is at risk or not, you'll know that you did the right thing by calling.

What happens when I make a report to a Children's Aid Society?

You will speak with a social worker who will determine if an investigation is warranted. If so and investigation will begin. The investigation will reveal what, if any, services are appropriate for CAS to offer the child and family.

Is information confidential?

Information given to a CAS is confidential and can be shared only with the permission of the person to whom it relates, or by a court order or subpoena.

You will speak with a social worker who will determine if an investigation is warranted. If so and investigation will begin. The investigation will reveal what, if any, services are appropriate for CAS to offer the child and family.
        Last edited by Grace; 05-08-2006, 06:34 PM.

Comment

You can't really sit on something of this nature but another option would be to have the office of the children's lawyer involved, they will investigate the matter thoroughly, perhaps even interview the other mother etc and they could make the call to the CAS.

here is a few cases where one parent made numerous complaints to the CAS and others. At the end of the day they found themselves to be an access parent.

Paragraph 7

http://www.canlii.org/on/cas/onsc/20...onsc11624.html

and this one paragraph 20

http://www.canlii.org/on/cas/onsc/20...onsc10075.html

Comment

There have also been cases where women with abusive partners haven't reported child abuse and have lost custody to foster care.

Thank you Grace for posting that.

Like I said earlier - you can word it that you want them to investigate, that these are your concerns- you don't have to come across as a bitter ex. Phrase things as objectively as possible. Try to avoid generalizations and sweeping allegations. Both the police and CAS are used to sorting these things out.

LV: Those cases you mentioned - especially the second one- were extreme examples. 36 calls to CAS all unfounded is a completely different situation then involving CAS with your concerns and wanting them to look into them.

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity
              You can't really sit on something of this nature but another option would be to have the office of the children's lawyer involved, they will investigate the matter thoroughly, perhaps even interview the other mother etc and they could make the call to the CAS.
              The Office of the Children's lawyer usually doesn't get involved if CAS is actively involved/investigating in the case or have taken a position on custody of the child. And if you did choose that route first, they would defer this to the CAS for this kind of investigation.

Comment

just to throw my $0.02 in...

if there is a child being abused... ANY type of abuse, report it immediately, and let a professional make the call whether it really happened or not.

If there is one thing in this world that makes me madder than anything else (other than having someone use all my hot water when I want to shower ) it's low life pieces of garbage who abuse children.

However, since vigilante justice is illegal (yet oh so satisfying) if it were my decision to make, I'd be sure to do everything I could to make sure that if there really was any type of abuse (ESPECIALLY sexual abuse) that the person doing it would get to spend some time in a certain place where even murderers look down on child abusers / pedophiles, and might just subject that person to the type of humiliation and degradation that the person inflicted on an innocent child.

Still, even in a case where abuse / molestation are involved that wouldn't be enough punishment as far as I'm concerned, but none the less... just thought of a pedophile getting to play mommy and seriously beaten if they don't puts a smile on my face.

Comment

Yes the cases were somewhere to the extreme, omg, not to mention the additional calls to the police in the second case.

I have read a number of cases where one single allegation was made to the CAS. It was proved unfounded and It ended up coming back to haunt the party in a custody adjudication.

Comment

Lv,

You are completly off base when you state that a child would not want to go back to the abuser or come up with excuses not to go. Abusers manipulate and put fear in the child that the child most times would be terrified not to go back. They tell the child that it is their fault, they will be in trouble if they tell etc.

I still can't beleive that we are still debating this ...whether to worry if reporting suspicions will make us look bad in court. How can you look bad in court if you are looking out for the best interest and safetly of your child.

Wow!!

Comment

Sherif28,

I think it would depend on the child and the circumstance. A child may be manipulated or a child may not. Not all children are the same. Not every child abuse case is the same either. I agree some children remain silent for years and out of the blue they spill the beans and tell all.

If abuse is occurring who knows all the details and to what extent.

My point was that making unsubstantiated unproven allegations in the midst of a custody adjudication may work against a party. I think I proved that point. I could post many more cases that shows this.

If child abuse is occurring then yes definitely do something about it.

I do take abuse very seriously, and I don't turn a blind eye to it either. I have no tolerance for it whatsoever.

I don't think I am off base on what I posted on this at all. It is my opinion and and I stand by it much the same way as you and your own opinion. I am still responding to subsequent threads because members have been quoting what I have posted in their own opinions. It appears to me that they are looking for a response.

LV

Comment

It is a genuine concern however, I wonder if the prevalence of reporting is significantly higher upon separation and divorce - does anyone know about that?

Comment

I have seen American reports of this nature, but none with a Canadian content. I applied google power quickly and came up with this Canadian paper found at the federal justice site

BACKGROUND PAPER
                          ALLEGATIONS OF CHILD ABUSE IN THE CONTEXT OF PARENTAL SEPARATION: A DISCUSSION PAPER

http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/pad/r...FCY-4.html#_61

Comment

"WHAT ABOUT ME"

"Seeking to understand a child's view of violence in the family"

http://www.lfcc.on.ca/what_about_me.pdf

Comment

American Statistics

http://www.betterendings.org/justice/Stats.htm

http://www.betterendings.org/justice/allegati.htm

Comment

Originally posted by sherif28
                                I still can't beleive that we are still debating this ...whether to worry if reporting suspicions will make us look bad in court. How can you look bad in court if you are looking out for the best interest and safetly of your child.
                                Wow!!
                                AMEN!!! Do what is best for the child- put aside how it will look for you in court.

I suppose some people can live with themselves and sleep at night knowing that they are ignoring kids being abused but it will help them in the end, I suppose. Personally I think that you ignore it and you are just as guilty as the offender.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X