Anyone know about FRO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about FRO?

I filed for support back in November. My ex didn't want court involved so tried to "settle" for an amount I thought was too low. I was willing to work with him but I wanted what was fair. Basically after seeing how he would co-parent, I decided to continue pursuing court.

Court was a month ago - he didn't come. I was not only granted sole custody but he was ordered no access which I wasn't even pursuing (due to an assault charge on me 3 yrs prior). I felt bad but I respect the judges concern about safety.

Support was ordered, an amount of course more than he wanted to give and she back dated support to 6 months prior. So basically now what!? I've only received the order in the mail. I gave them his employment info. Does FRO just contact him to pay or will they take it from his employer since he didn't show up? I've read a bit about FRO online and it actually seems like a slow nightmare. Any guidance would be great.

You filed the order with FRO correct? You have an account number and case worker? If yes, call your case worker and ask these questions.

If you have none of the above then the order has not been filed with FRO and needs to be done. You will do this at the courthouse.

Hound FRO for the information and stay on top of them to have it paid.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      You filed the order with FRO correct? You have an account number and case worker? If yes, call your case worker and ask these questions.

If you have none of the above then the order has not been filed with FRO and needs to be done. You will do this at the courthouse.

Hound FRO for the information and stay on top of them to have it paid.
      Well I went through the court system so everything should be automatic from them. I haven't received anything yet but I guess I'll wait.

Comment

Did you fill out the FRO form at Court? I recall there is a form you need to fill out.

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
          Did you fill out the FRO form at Court? I recall there is a form you need to fill out.
          I do remember filling out one paper with my lawyer right after court asking details about his work place & such.

Comment

When We got a court order for cs it was filed immediately with FRO. Six months at our next CC , FRO had still not collected any money. Judge was furious and ordered my STBX to cut me a check right there and then in court for the full amount of back child support. Took FRO another few months to get their sh....t in gear ( it helped that I sicked the Ontario Ombudsman on them).

Comment

The answer is "slow nightmare". It will happen one day. The other parent will make some payment plan with them and pay like 50$ a month on the arrears. FRO needs a significant revamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                The answer is "slow nightmare". It will happen one day. The other parent will make some payment plan with them and pay like 50$ a month on the arrears. FRO needs a significant revamp.
                Wow - that's so frustrating. The mom suffers without support and the dad gets a "payment" plan

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                  When We got a court order for cs it was filed immediately with FRO. Six months at our next CC , FRO had still not collected any money. Judge was furious and ordered my STBX to cut me a check right there and then in court for the full amount of back child support. Took FRO another few months to get their sh....t in gear ( it helped that I sicked the Ontario Ombudsman on them).

I thought once FRO was involved the payer wasn’t supposed to pay anyone but FRO? Because for 6 months arrears have been collecting at FRO awhile they set up the account... so when FRO finally starts to collect the expect the payer to pay 6 months arrears. Interesting a judge ordered a cheque be cut right then and there when the ex was only following what was expected of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Opps sorry duplicate post.
                    Last edited by kate331; 03-22-2018, 08:46 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

Originally posted by ccorazon View Post
                      Wow - that's so frustrating. The mom suffers without support and the dad gets a "payment" plan
                      Yup, and then they can go back to court and ask for the arrears to be reduced or forgiven. I know Family Law SUCKS for everyone.

I am learning very quickly, its best to not count on CS, if you have an ex that doesnt want to pay. Sometimes it will cost you more to chase it, then actually receive it, if your paying your own legal fees.

FRO currently has $1.35 billion in arrears in Ontario, I suspect yours and my arrears will be in there somewhere soon.

Best advice is to become self sufficient.

Comment

As a Payor, FRO isn't much better. Was paying direct and on time, but X decided to go to FRO. FRO garnished my wages for the first payment thru them, even though it was already paid. No notice or information till I chased after them.

Comment

Originally posted by dadonown View Post
                          As a Payor, FRO isn't much better.
                          I agree. It all depends on if the payors wages can get garnished or not. If it can, then it's a matter of processing time. FRO waits for the court order to be filed and then send a notice to your employer. The payor then finds out his payments bounced because his paycheck was garnished.

If it can't be garnished, then payee has a long wait ahead of them. Without being able to garnish wages FRO has very little means to get the payments.

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                          I thought once FRO was involved the payer wasn’t supposed to pay anyone but FRO? Because for 6 months arrears have been collecting at FRO awhile they set up the account... so when FRO finally starts to collect the expect the payer to pay 6 months arrears. Interesting a judge ordered a cheque be cut right then and there when the ex was only following what was expected of them
                          You're correct, I find that interesting. As you pointed out, the payor would have to pay the same debt twice. I could write a cheque as ordered but with no money in the account, it would simply bounce.

Comment

I went to court earlier in the month. My ex didn’t show. Support was ordered. My ex must have received something in the mail as he called me screaming. I also got a package basically saying they’ve received the court order and it’s registered then fill out the package with detailed info about his job, address, etc. BecauSe they asked about his job I was just wondering if they just automatically deduct - I wouldn’t see why not. I’ve already been waiting and am already 5k in arrears. I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens. It seems like no one knows including no real info online and no one to talk to by calling the office.

Comment

FRO will garnishee up to 50% of his income from his employer until such time as your ex contacts FRO and makes an arrangement. The arrangement will consist of what his regular monthly obligation is as well as an amount towards arrears. Before he can make an arrangement, however, he will have to complete a very detailed financial statement and have it sworn legally. He will probably do this in short order because until FRO receives everything from him they can, and likely will, simply deduct the maximum amount allowable by law (see FRO information below). Your ex's employer MUST deduct and remit this money to FRO. The documents served to his employer are legal documents and there is no leeway.

Usually a debtor has received many notices by mail from FRO so don't fall for the "I didn't know" routine.

https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/p...esponsibility/

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X