No announcement yet.

Need Advice: OCL threatening motion to move pleadings from Ottawa to Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: OCL threatening motion to move pleadings from Ottawa to Toronto

Hi,

My Ex moved away with the kids when I was at work more than a year ago now from the Ottawa, to the Toronto area.

OCL from TO has been involved.

They just called me and want to move the case to York region. I am writing a 'NO' response letter with the following points

1. Court resources are likely less available in the York region, which means that the period of time between court dates entrenches the status quo that much longer, which prejudices my case.

2. Costs related to my case would sky rocket as I would be required to travel to York Region for every court date and for any interaction with the court requiring me to file documents with the court. taking time away from my business, and likely requirement me to seek overnight accommodations.

3. My costs to exercise the access I have are unreasonably high, and combined with point 2 further act to prejudice my efforts.

Have I missed anything. Does anyone agree/disagree ?

How do you exercise access if she moved away from you?

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk

Comment

I leave Ottawa at 6:00am every second Saturday morning drive 5 hrs , travel to Toronto, pick up the kids, drive to my mother's house in St. Catharine's 1.5 hours away. We stay there until 2pm Sun, then I drive them back to Toronto, then myself back to Ottawa.

Comment

That's admiring and exceptional of what you're doing for your kids, you should get a moving restriction order for your ex in the first place. Do you intend to increase access in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
          That's admiring and exceptional of what you're doing for your kids, you should get a moving restriction order for your ex in the first place. Do you intend to increase access in the near future?

Thanks, increased access and custody is why I am in court.
          Last edited by plainNamedDad44; 05-06-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

At the very least I'd be looking at shared travel to facilitate access. I moved 5+hrs away with the kids and ex did not fight it. I offered to split transportation 50/50 thinking that was only fair. We meet at a half-way point.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X