This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **deleted**

My ex and I have cats, they all live with me. Since separating I have paid all of the expenses for all of them. Currently he can't take the one cat that is entirely his because he can't have pets where he lives. He doesn't want to take him when he moves because all the cats were raised together (one of the others is a sibling) and he feels it would be wrong to separate them after all this time. I don't have a problem with that.

Aside from regular health checks, it is rare that I have to take them into the vet but lately I've had to make a few trips in for his cat and it's getting pretty pricey, especially since I had to treat the others as well 'just in case'. I've kept him up to date on what's going on with the cat and hoped he'd offer to pay some of it at least but....he hasn't.

Is it possible to include something in our separation agreement about him maintaining pet insurance for at least his own cat to help offset the amount I'm spending back and forth to the vet? I would never not take him if he was sick, especially since the others could get sick as well but the bills are adding up for this little guy and I really can't afford it much longer.

Thoughts?

What is PS (pet support) worth these days? Bet the guidelines are based on giving the cats the same level of lifestyle they had prior to the split. ; )

Comment

Actually I have exactly the same case, and I found the following:

As for pet support, in the Alberta case of Boschee v. Duncan, [2004] A.J. 677, in addition to seeking $1,500 per month in spousal support, the wife claimed $200 per month to support her husband’s St. Bernard dog. The wife argued that she required pet support to cover the veterinary costs and the costs of feeding and caring for the dog after her husband left the dog in her care. The court found that a St. Bernand dog costs more to maintain and feed than the usual smaller variety. The judge hearing this case ruled that $200 per month was a reasonable sum to compensate the wife for the time and expense required to look after her husband’s dog and ordered him to pay pet support.

Comment

I dunno! Regular food and maintenance stuff is one thing but I think I need a 'Section 7' for his vet bills or something!

I just looked up some pet insurance costs with PC financial and the cost ranges from $10 (accident only) - $34/ month (ultra plan covers everything) which doesn't seem too unreasaonable. They do have multi-pet plans for 3+ pets but I would have to call to see what that would be.

It's always the unexpected things that get you. *sigh*

Comment

What a joke. If bickering spouses have to resort to court to settle their differences, it's bad enough. But pet support?? Give me a break.

Comment

rszalai,

I saw that one too, I did try to find some other examples and haven't yet. I searched the whole forum as well and found only a couple of mentions of it, mostly pertaining to custody though and that isn't an issue atall here. I don't mind caring for the kitty so he can stay with his little kitty family but if things keep up the way they have I won't be able to afford to

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
              What a joke. If bickering spouses have to resort to court to settle their differences, it's bad enough. But pet support?? Give me a break.
              We're not bickering about anything, I just need to know if it's even an option to ask for some contribution towards his pet's vet bills. We used to split everything before but now I support myself and our children and suddenly have unexpected vet bills for his cat. I have no desire to go to court over it, just need to know if it's even a consideration to ask for some help with his cat's vet bills.

Comment

I think it is same to assume that you now own the cat and the cost assoicated with it's ownership.

There is a reason I don't own a pet. Kids grow up, pets only grow old.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                  We're not bickering about anything, I just need to know if it's even an option to ask for some contribution towards his pet's vet bills.
                  I certainly hope not, unless he/she is a bio parent of the animal. Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Pet support? PET SUPPORT???

How insanely laughable. I would be embarassed to even think of asking for pet support. Have a little pride, please.
                  Last edited by dadtotheend; 05-09-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

It's one thing to ask someone to care for your animal while you are away and insist on paying for it.

It's an entirely different, ridiculous and greedy position to seek support for an f'n pet.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                      I certainly hope not, unless he/she is a bio parent of the animal. Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Pet support? PET SUPPORT???

How insanely laughable. I would be embarassed to even think of asking for pet support. Have a little pride, please.
                      I believe the term 'pet support' was used jokingly. I'm not asking or expecting 'support payments' every month as you're suggesting. The thought was that he'd contribute to major vet expenses incurred when his cat gets sick or hurt or maintain some kind of insurance coverage to pay it rather than constantly out of my pocket. He bought the cat, I bought mine, he's paid his cat's expenses up till we separated. I've spent $1100 out of pocket for three trips to the vet in the last three weeks for his cat. That's $1100 I don't have to spend on my children now. Considering he makes much more than I do, $1100 - plus whatever the rest of the cost is until he's well again - is quite a bit for me.

I wouldn't pay my other friends' vet bills when looking after their pets, why is it assumed to be ok that I should pay his now that we're just friends?

Comment

Then give him back his cat, or find another home for it.

That you would even consider at ALL the idea that the court force him (because that's utimately the leverage you have to get him to pay) is absolutely laughable.

I don't want my tax dollars pissed away because people are asking the courts to resolve their vet bills for them.

It's absolutely dumbfounding.

Comment

Nobody said anything about going to court over it, in fact, I specifically said I had no intention of going to court over it. Why would I need 'leverage'?

Comment

Well in that case, yes it is possible to get it written into your separation agreement, but obviously, only if he agrees.

If he doesn't agree, then you're only recourse to is to accept paying for it, or going to court. Since you have no intention of going to court, then it's not us you should asking about the separation agreement, it's your ex.

As for nobody saying anything about going to court, rszalai cited a court case, and you mentioned Section 7 expenses.

Again, if you not going to court, then then you will only get it into a separation agreement with his agreement (needless to say) or by threatening to go to court.

So ask him to pay. If he says no, will you just accept it?

Comment

If he doesn't agree, then you're only recourse to is to accept paying for it, or going to court. Since you have no intention of going to court, then it's not us you should asking about the separation agreement, it's your ex.
                              I realize, of course, it's him I need to talk to speak with about it. My question was simply if it was something we agreed on would it be something that should be in the separation agreement.

As for nobody saying anything about going to court, rszalai cited a court case, and you mentioned Section 7 expenses.
                              I guess I didn't realize divorced = death of humour. I guess I've been doing it wrong.

Again, if you not going to court, then then you will only get it into a separation agreement with his agreement (needless to say) or by threatening to go to court.
                              I don't believe in 'threatening' people for anything, most certainly not the father of my children for whatever reason.

So ask him to pay. If he says no, will you just accept it?
                              Yes, but if he agrees I'd like it in writing somewhere - whether in the separation agreement or somewhere else. Not because I'd want to threaten him with going to court or something equally ridiculous, he just seems to remember and respect things better when they're in writing.

I've been going over options a lot since the vet bills starting adding up and I think I'm going to try going the pet insurance route which covers pretty much everything aside from regular checkups which would be a lot less then emergency vet costs when they get hurt or injured. He'll be more likely to go for it if it costs less which it would if we insured them all. If he doesn't want to do that I have my own life insurance policy that I can cancel to pay the difference.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X