This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary on the male experience in separation and divorce

I am doing a short documentary for the Digi60 Film Festival in Ottawa. The documentary will present the Men's experiences in coping with family breakdown and divorce. This will be a sympathetic look at family breakdown from the male perspective.

We are looking for 8 men who would like to participate in a one - two hour group discussion with a moderator. The discussion will be filmed and used in the documentary which will be shown on December 7 in Ottawa. We will film in the next three weeks, with possible dates of : November 3, November 4, November 10, November 11, or a weeknight in early November.

We may run two sessions if there is a lot of interest.

More information on Digi60 can be found at Digi60 | Ottawa's Digital Filmmakers Festival

Thanks,

Steve
    Sign me up, I want to participate!
    0%
    I would participate if I could be anonymous
    0%
    I would help behind the scenes
    0%
    This is a waste of time
    0%

I would LOVE to go but im 8 hours away

Comment

Hi SynGreis, We might be doing a series. Where are you located?

Comment

Near Windsor Ontario. right across detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
          I am doing a short documentary for the Digi60 Film Festival in Ottawa. The documentary will present the Men's experiences in coping with family breakdown and divorce. This will be a sympathetic look at family breakdown from the male perspective.

We are looking for 8 men who would like to participate in a one - two hour group discussion with a moderator. The discussion will be filmed and used in the documentary which will be shown on December 7 in Ottawa. We will film in the next three weeks, with possible dates of : November 3, November 4, November 10, November 11, or a weeknight in early November.

We may run two sessions if there is a lot of interest.

More information on Digi60 can be found at Digi60 | Ottawa's Digital Filmmakers Festival

Thanks,

Steve
          Dear Steve:

Family separation impacts all races, genders and sexual orientations. If you want to further divide families and make separation and divorce a gender war any view that you present will only possibly isolate matters as a gender war between the male and female sexes. Which it is not.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
            We are looking for 8 men who would like to participate in a one - two hour group discussion with a moderator.
            Who is the "moderator"? As the "documentary" will be shown publicly I am sure you can disclose the full name and credentials of the "moderator" for this film? What are their credentials? Do they have a medical designation in the medical field? (C. Psych, Psychiatrist?)

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              Dear Steve:

Family separation impacts all races, genders and sexual orientations. If you want to further divide families and make separation and divorce a gender war any view that you present will only possibly isolate matters as a gender war between the male and female sexes. Which it is not.

Good Luck!
              Tayken
              Hi Tayken,

Thanks for your feedback!

The male and female perspectives are equally valid, although their experiences may be quite different.

We hope and believe that an open conversation is more helpful and healing than silence. We hear many negative stories about "deadbeat dads," domestic abuse, and absent fathers. Our intention is not to lay blame, but to talk to men about their experiences, both positive and negative.

Thanks, -Steve

Comment

Who is the "moderator"? As the "documentary" will be shown publicly I am sure you can disclose the full name and credentials of the "moderator" for this film? What are their credentials? Do they have a medical designation in the medical field? (C. Psych, Psychiatrist?)
                The moderator is Ken Godmere from Ottawa.

We are NOT conducting a psychiatric study or providing any form of therapy. Nor will we be offering any form of advice to participants. This is merely a conversation between healthy men. I hope that addresses your concerns.

Comment

OP: You might want to read SynGreis' threads/posts before you recruit him. I don't claim to know exactly what your documentary intends to establish, but I'll hazard a guess that you're not going for a "Jerry Springer" tone.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB View Post
                    The moderator is Ken Godmere from Ottawa.

We are NOT conducting a psychiatric study or providing any form of therapy. Nor will we be offering any form of advice to participants. This is merely a conversation between healthy men. I hope that addresses your concerns.
                    My only concern is profiteering from family situations.

Men have an outlet for exploring their emotions. It is called a mental health worker (clinician).

Comment

The male and female perspectives are equally valid, although their experiences may be quite different.
                      They are of little value as (a) the courts of justice act, family law act, criminal code of Canada, children's law reform act, and all other acts do not identify gender in any of the Rules and applicable Laws. The only party that matters are the children as defined by Rule 24 of the CLRA.

So, for you to explore gender doesn't make it valid. It makes it a gender war and a continuation into the dichotamy of male versus female. Until such time people like yourself and your "causes" realize that the problems that exist for families (gay, straight, lesbian, transgender, et all...) is not about "parents" (of any gender) but, the children involved...

It will just be more victim statements with no clear identification to solving the problems children, the most important people in family law disputes, as defined by the CLRA, it will all just be lamenting. No different than the rhetoric shared by any organization/cause that is gender identified.

We hope and believe that an open conversation is more helpful and healing than silence.
                      Who is "we" in this statement? You and Ken? Or is there an organization driving this? What is your experience with the Family Law system? Ken's?

We hear many negative stories about "deadbeat dads," domestic abuse, and absent fathers. Our intention is not to lay blame, but to talk to men about their experiences, both positive and negative.
                      Why not talk to professionals? Custody and access evaluators? Justices? (i.e. The HOnourable Mr. Brownstone for example?) How about interviewing Mr. William Eddy of the high conflict institute?

What supporting research materials are you relying upon to drive the content of the "documentary"? What is your hypothesis you are presenting about the current state of "men" in family law matters?

Suffice to say, your documentary sounds like it will be an "actor" (motivational speaker) lamenting about how "men" get a raw deal in family courts. Something I for one do not believe exists.

The major challenge with family law is not gender. It is PARENTS. Both parents. Independent of gender, rage, religion or sexual orientation.

Warning to those who choose to participate. If you are engaged in a legal battle the statements made to these people can be leveraged as evidence against you in court. Should you make statements of "belief" against a parent and are identified you could find yourself having to explain it all to a family law judge. I am not being an "alarmist" but, a realist in what happens when you are separating and divorcing a possibly highly conflicted individual.

The best thing anyone can do is seek mental health help for their problems and focus on their children. Lamenting on the camera for the public to see won't put you in the best light as a parent.

Good Luck!
                      Tayken

Comment

My only concern is profiteering from family situations.

Men have an outlet for exploring their emotions. It is called a mental health worker (clinician).
                        You misunderstand what we are trying to accomplish. As I mentioned above, this is not therapy, nor is it profiteering.

The response we have received so far is very supportive. Most people we have spoken with have expressed their dismay that this topic is unexamined and have a great desire to see it explored in greater depth. I am sorry that you don't share this view, however I hope you can help others find another venue for the mental health / support issues that you refer to above since this is not our focus.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                          OP: You might want to read SynGreis' threads/posts before you recruit him. I don't claim to know exactly what your documentary intends to establish, but I'll hazard a guess that you're not going for a "Jerry Springer" tone.
                          Originally posted by SynGreis View Post
                          I would LOVE to go but im 8 hours away
                          methinks you dont read.

Comment

Terrible idea.The only people who would sign up are high conflict emotional unbalanced men.They are already making things difficult for themselves and their families in the court.A documentary like this shown in court could be the final nail in their prospective coffins.Worse this would end up on Youtube and their children and children's friends would see it.Many on here are fragile ,this seems like taking advantage of their vulnerability, for your own profit.

Nothing about a breakup is fun ,nothing about custody issues is fun,its all messy and difficult.Some poor soul breaking down during filming then his boss seeing it on Tv...Poor Bob doesn't get promotion because he seems like he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Cant you see how you could make a bad situation so much worse?

Comment

They are of little value as (a) the courts of justice act, family law act, criminal code of Canada, children's law reform act, and all other acts do not identify gender in any of the Rules and applicable Laws. The only party that matters are the children as defined by Rule 24 of the CLRA.

So, for you to explore gender doesn't make it valid. It makes it a gender war and a continuation into the dichotamy of male versus female. Until such time people like yourself and your "causes" realize that the problems that exist for families (gay, straight, lesbian, transgender, et all...) is not about "parents" (of any gender) but, the children involved...

It will just be more victim statements with no clear identification to solving the problems children, the most important people in family law disputes, as defined by the CLRA, it will all just be lamenting. No different than the rhetoric shared by any organization/cause that is gender identified.

Who is "we" in this statement? You and Ken? Or is there an organization driving this? What is your experience with the Family Law system? Ken's?

Why not talk to professionals? Custody and access evaluators? Justices? (i.e. The HOnourable Mr. Brownstone for example?) How about interviewing Mr. William Eddy of the high conflict institute?

What supporting research materials are you relying upon to drive the content of the "documentary"? What is your hypothesis you are presenting about the current state of "men" in family law matters?

Suffice to say, your documentary sounds like it will be an "actor" (motivational speaker) lamenting about how "men" get a raw deal in family courts. Something I for one do not believe exists.

The major challenge with family law is not gender. It is PARENTS. Both parents. Independent of gender, rage, religion or sexual orientation.

Warning to those who choose to participate. If you are engaged in a legal battle the statements made to these people can be leveraged as evidence against you in court. Should you make statements of "belief" against a parent and are identified you could find yourself having to explain it all to a family law judge. I am not being an "alarmist" but, a realist in what happens when you are separating and divorcing a possibly highly conflicted individual.

The best thing anyone can do is seek mental health help for their problems and focus on their children. Lamenting on the camera for the public to see won't put you in the best light as a parent.

Good Luck!
                              Tayken
                              Clearly this documentary is not for you. However, it is a topic of great interest to many others, who understand that a conversation on the topic is important.

We cannot cover all areas at one time, and that is not to say that other perspectives are not valid. This is intended to be but one of many voices.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X