Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dad left him at a fast food restaurant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad left him at a fast food restaurant...

WTF?? Parenting schedule is eow and it was his weekend. Pick up friday at 5pm and drop off sunday at 5pm.

I'm starting to think he really has no clue....We've been doing this schedule for 2 years. But more and more often he's been picking up late and today I get a call from DS14 that he's sitting at a fast food place and needs me to come and get him. 5 hours early! No call from his dad - DS just said his dad made other plans and needed to drop him off early...DS didn't have his key with him so he left him at the local McDs. I was over an hour away so told DS to call his dad back and have him pick him up. Poor kid - he didn't want to in case it made his dad mad.

I never thought I would have to deal with crap like this. What can I do?

Ensure he always has a key with him to begin with. At 14 surely he was just fine. Maybe not happy dad left him at McDonalds but I am sure at his age he is out with friends and such all the time and can handle hanging out until you get there or whatever.

If your son was younger I would be more concerned but just make sure he has a key on him or you hide one around your house so he can get in when need be. I would say something to dad hit obviously it won't do any good as he won't listen anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unfortunately DS blames himself for his dad's shortcomings too.

Yes he has his own key and he would have had it with him if he knew he was coming home to an empty house. He also would have taken his wallet so he could buy himself some lunch as dad left him there without any money.

There's no point in me bringing it up with dad. If he won't listen to his own kid he's certainly not going to listen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by momof2teenboys View Post
        Unfortunately DS blames himself for his dad's shortcomings too.

Yes he has his own key and he would have had it with him if he knew he was coming home to an empty house. He also would have taken his wallet so he could buy himself some lunch as dad left him there without any money.

There's no point in me bringing it up with dad. If he won't listen to his own kid he's certainly not going to listen to me.
        he should always carry his house key and some cash.

Comment

Originally posted by momof2teenboys View Post
          Yes he has his own key and he would have had it with him if he knew he was coming home to an empty house.
          He should always have his key on him. In case there is an emergency. In this case to be honest .. it sounds like dad may have had a bit of an emergency.

Go over the pick up drop off guidelines with him again (also in cases of immediate emergencies or sudden changes of plan).

I wouldn't go off the deep end with this one. May just inflame matters.

Comment

I'm switching out the front door lockset this week - going to the keypad entry instead. I don't want DS to ever feel like he can't come home.

Emergencies happen - this wasn't an emergency. He had "plans". And he had other options - call or text me (anytime before or over the weekend), call any of the grandparents that all live within 20 minutes of here (DS called my mother and she was headed over to get him when I got there), call any of DSs friends...he had options. And chose to leave him in a fast food restaurant.

I've gone over with DS what he should do if/when this happens again. If he hadn't been able to get a hold of me then he needs to know who else to call. Same as if there is an emergency at home - 911, mom, grandparents, friends...

Emergencies do happen. Things do come up but the parenting plan is clear in what either of us should do if we not be able to care for DS during our time with him. Dropping him at McDs on his own isn't one of them.

Comment

Your ex is a grade a ass so you cant trust him at all. Make sure your son has a way to get in no matter what. I bet in another year or two the visits will stop and you wont have to worry about this bs.

Comment

Bullshit, i feel for you and your kids, be grateful you don't have to spend your retirement 24/7 with that gem!! Let it go, focus on your kids and what they do, not what that gem does or doesn't do. Free yourself! It's complicated to make plans as you always have to expect this kind of impromptu thing to happen alot. Especially if gem found a human to preoccupy his thoughts. Fair? Nope! Expected? Yup! Chin up held high and reach for the sunshine!! You are free from that!! Enjoy!!!

Comment

No emergency? Yea .. totally douchy......I could never do that to my child.

Ringette is right .... be thankful you dont have to deal with that all day every day nor in your retirement.

Comment

Great idea about changing up the lockset to a keycode one. When my son was young we had a simple keypad entry to garage and then he entered another code to deactivate the security system to house. Never any problems with keys being lost.

Comment

Crazy indeed.
                      But you are reacting very well by changing the door entry system. You control what you can control and look after the kid. You are very smart not to bother talking to him.

Comment

Just be careful he does not let his dad see him open the door or find out the code.

Comment

Make sure that he has a key with him.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X