S7 expenses what’s in your order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S7 expenses what’s in your order?

Looking for any advice and tips for what should be listed in our order for section 7 expenses now that I have registered with MEP?

What do you wish you had and had not listed?

Is there a budget, do you pay x amount per month for them or do you pay per receipt?

MEP is a little more sophisticated than FRO so you are already ahead of the game.

You will want a listing of section 7 expenses that you expect to incur. Like medical expenses over 100 annually after benefits have been applied; sports that you expect kids to go into at a specific amount; education expenses etc. If your ex is unreasonable, dont put stuff in there that will tempt them (like if you dont think kid will play sports, dont put it in as ex will enroll them).

Make sure the language is specific about updating income and s7 each year with an amending agreement to be provided within 30 days to mep following exchange of taxes. This is one they should suggest to everyone.

Theres really not much mire since s7 are subjective. As long as mep can use the agreement, make sure its in. You may be able to call them and ask what they run into and how to avoid difficulties.

Comment

So far all our order says is we will share sections 7 in proportion and that reasonable notice and consent must be obtained for any and all expenses. If reasonable notice is not provided and consent is not obtained then the other party is not eligible for contribution.

I would like a set budget for sports like $1000 a year per child. Thing is the oldest isn’t in anything and hasn’t been for some time. So paying x amount per month is providing her with free money....

I don’t want to have to update and do a consent order every year.

Comment

If your incomes change each year you will need to update but you dont have to spell it out in the order.

I would avoid the set amount per year. If she knows to ask and get permission.

Comment

She is trying to have that clause removed. She doesn’t want my consent for anything and is fighting this hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Tandem80 View Post
            She is trying to have that clause removed. She doesn’t want my consent for anything and is fighting this hard.
            I don't like that if you eat 1 pound of bacon at every meal you will eventually get fat, develop heart disease and die.

Just like eating one pound of bacon at every meal... You don't always get what you want in life.

No matter how hard she tries... The clause is in there to ensure she doesn't eat all the bacon and do something stupid. A judge won't remove it. Nor will eating 3 pounds of bacon a day ever be healthy.

Comment

She is saying that I have used this clause to avoid payment of expenses. Expenses she incurs without any notice. How am I supposed to provide consent if I am not aware prior to their occurance?

She is requesting I pay upon receipt. No questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Tandem80 View Post
                She is saying that I have used this clause to avoid payment of expenses. Expenses she incurs without any notice. How am I supposed to provide consent if I am not aware prior to their occurance?

She is requesting I pay upon receipt. No questions asked.
                And like I said... I want eating 3 pounds of bacon a day to be healthy. It just isn't nor will a court order you pay for "special and extraordinary" expenses without consent.

Hockey - not special nor extraordinary
                Soccer - same
                Dance - same

The only thing is daycare in support of employment and medical expenses that exceed $500 per year for the children. Which is super rare stuff.

There are 100's of thousands of children who don't have extracurricular activities. They are "extracurricular" and not "special" nor are they "extraordinary".

She has to go on motion, on a material change in circumstance to have the clause changed. Which is a waste of time.

GOod Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

Have you considered simply ignoring the requests, not responding, and not fussing about this nonsense?

Comment

I can’t because she has already filed a motion. I made an offer to settle with a budget for sports...it was a no go!

Comment

Then let her explain to the judge and have them tell her. My partners ex put in her briefs that he has refused many section 7 activities and wants a set budget for extras the kids may want. His income is 1/3-1/2 hers and the kids are in university. As his lawyer said, it won’t fly because it still requires his permission.

Comment

It’s adjourned sine die...so I have registered with MEP in the mean time, they won’t enforce anything anyways. We can either come to an agreement now based on the agreements we have made, or she can bring it back to court after receiving my response, which was filed yesterday.

She’s such a cow! I offered a $1000 budget per child for their activities...and that’s any activity - no consent required. She tossed it all and is now not paying her lawyer and back to harassing me.

Comment

My income is 80% more than hers...she makes $10,000 a year on disability and has our kids in high end sports.

Comment

Well good luck to her. Make sure you file her emails under her name and ignore. Text messages and calls ignore. Tell her that you would like all communication in writing going forward.

Comment

Doesn’t it make me look like I can’t co parent if I ignore her?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X