This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex's lawyer question

If my lawyer is sending things to my ex's lawyer, how do I know that he has the same lawyer? I know his lawyer was hitting him up for money and by the sounds of things, the ex does not want to continue this with lawyers, rather suggested mediation. (though really doesn't save any money as you still need to retain your lawyer)
    So, if his lawyer is not representing him, how will I find out? Will his lawyer just ignore the letters etc or would he let us know he is no longer representing ex?
    BTW I love when YOU get charged for your ex calling and talking directly to your lawyer!!!! NICE!
    Last edited by tugofwar; 06-27-2010, 09:32 PM.

he should be filing a change of represention with the court. Not sure what form that is, but I don't think he has to file it until right before your next court date.

Comment

Well an offer to settle is coming soon, so not sure if he's still representing. Can I call his lawyer, talk to him for about 1 hour about stuff (and laugh about ex getting charged for this) and then ask if he is still representing him? LOL

Comment

LOL! that would be mean (but fun!)

Comment

The lawyer cannot just drop him and leave him in the lurch. The lawyer is bound by certain ethical codes that prevent them from doing so.

You (or your ex) can terminate your lawyer's services without cause, or notice, the lawyer cannot do the same to you.

If his lawyer is dropping him, they have to shown cause and file paperwork with the courts to be removed from representing him. If he has terminated the relationship, then the lawyer should be indicating that to your lawyer.

Your ex should not be contacting your lawyer directly. He contacts his, his lawyer contacts yours. YOU should not be charged for such contact and I would dispute that charge on your invoice.

Comment

Woulnd't non-payment be considered just cause for the lawyer to drop him?

Comment

I think so, but the lawyer still has to jump through all the hoops to do it. And there must be some length of time before he can even start the process.

Comment

Well I got charged for ex to call my lawyer cause our cc was coming up and he couldn't get a hold of his own lawyer, yes like that was my fault....
                I don't know where he found this lawyer, honestly. I know after sc ex was pulled right away and asked for more money and I know the ex does not want to spend more on his lawyer

Comment

Is there a time frame that a lawyer has to relay information to their client? We ( I had a meeting with my lawyer at which time he called and left a message with ex lawyer ) also sent a letter to ex's lawyer via email regarding some important matters and by the sound of things, this information has not been sent/discussed with my ex by his lawyer, rather had to ask me questions during drop off of child and Im just getting so frustrated with this as I told him I do not want to discuss these things with him in the presence of the child....

Comment

I wouldn't recommend calling 1-800-cheaplawyer they screw you even more than the expensive ones..... LOL

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X