This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Aid Lawyer's pay

Talking to my lawyer (during mediation) I sensed that she didn't think highly of what Legal aid pays, or dealing with them.

Does Legal Aid massively under pays its lawyers? and does that mean that they will not be as motivated to work hard for you ?

My Lawyer is a legal aid lawyer and I think he is doing a great job. He was highly recommended as well. I dont know the pay he gets. I also do a lot of work for him, researching every night and passing along what I may find. I feel you and your lawyer need to work as a team as neither are as effective working alone. My lawyer knows exactly what I want. As far as massivly under pay, well lawyers I feel in general are over paid! ....my ex's lawyer charges $300/hr!!

Comment

I think in Ontario legal aid lawyers get less than a hundred dollars an hour and are only allowed to bill for a certain amount of hours.

My ex has had 3 legal aid lawyers...one was pretty good, the other 2 were not the greatest - but I think that comes down to experience. Give them 10 years practicing, chances are they will no longer be accepting legal aid certificates.

I paid about 300 dollars an hour for my lawyer but she was experienced!

mominont

Comment

I think the current legal aid rate is $97/hour. What's a skillful, ambitious lawyer motivated by personal gain going to do? Not legal aid.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
          I think the current legal aid rate is $97/hour. What's a skillful, ambitious lawyer motivated by personal gain going to do? Not legal aid.

Holy smokes. Bad lawyers start at 250/hr. 97/hr doesn't even pay the law clerks. How does anyone survive a legal aid lawyer? ANyone use one?

Comment

Wow... I use a legal aid lawyer. I am happy, very happy with mine. I can't believe the lack of faith in legal aid lawyers in this post. My lawyer came highly recomended, he has spent years as a lawyer and has won a lot of his cases. You guys shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Not everyone is just interested in money, there are a lot of lawyers out there that care about us people who can't afford $200-300/hr and haved no choice. I'll let you all know how I survive my lawyer when I win. Stop being so cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by TRG2010 View Post
              Wow... I use a legal aid lawyer. I am happy, very happy with mine. I can't believe the lack of faith in legal aid lawyers in this post. My lawyer came highly recomended, he has spent years as a lawyer and has won a lot of his cases. You guys shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Not everyone is just interested in money, there are a lot of lawyers out there that care about us people who can't afford $200-300/hr and haved no choice. I'll let you all know how I survive my lawyer when I win. Stop being so cynical.

Are youin a major city? Trust me, if I could get a reliable lawyer for 97/hr I would in a heart beat. My first lawyer was a lower priced one and was a disaster. I could just be unlucky but I was told to go with the max. I can afford. Of course I can't afford my lawyer but have to make ends meet or I get 6 hrs. a week with my children.

Comment

Many legal aid lawyers are motivated by principle.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X