This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need A Good Lawyer in Durham Region

I'm hoping someone can come to my assistance.

My husband and I are looking for a good, knowledgeable, aggressive lawyer who will not take any crap from the opposing lawyer and will not be afraid to stand up to a judge's absurd rulings.

The only issue is that we would like for this lawyer to be from Durham region (Whitby or Oshawa) as that is where our case is held.

We have had several lawyers from our neck of the woods... but we simply can't afford to be paying $1,000.00 in travel costs for a lawyer from Peel.

If anyone has a lawyer to recommend that we could trust to properly take care of business, once and for all (hopefully!).... please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

We have heard that Stan Zuly is very good. We are meeting with him next week for the first time as we are getting close to trial and we need a lawyer at this point. I've heard good things but I can't give my own opinion at this point although I'm anxious to have him represent my husband. He's quite expensive however, so I hope that means he is great!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by gzy039 View Post
      Hello,

We have heard that Stan Zuly is very good. We are meeting with him next week for the first time as we are getting close to trial and we need a lawyer at this point. I've heard good things but I can't give my own opinion at this point although I'm anxious to have him represent my husband. He's quite expensive however, so I hope that means he is great!

Good luck!
      He is good. Believe me. We have dealt with him many times... from the other side of the table - he is our opposing party's lawyer. :-S

Comment

Crappy!! Sorry..I guess that's good for us...I hope he creams our opposing party..she deserves it!

Comment

Originally posted by gzy039 View Post
          Crappy!! Sorry..I guess that's good for us...I hope he creams our opposing party..she deserves it!
          That's what we want too... though not vengence... but JUSTICE!

Up until now, we've been the ones getting "creamed." :-(

(So your chances of Zuly creaming your opposing party are good.)

Comment

gzyo39, you could casually ask Stan at your interview who he fears...

Comment

LOL!! that is a great idea...kind of sneaky though!

Comment

No disrespect, but the quality of your lawyer pales next to the quality of your case.

Comment

Helen Brooks in Whitby is magnificent. She has helped many of my friends who recommended her to me. Her name kept popping up when I was doing the ask-a-friend survey before hiring a lawyer. I had a consultation with her and ended up successfully representing myself thanks to her step-by-step instructions (how many lawyers say "you don't need to hire me, simply do this, this, and this and you will get what you are after" ---???) That totally impressed me. She's pretty amazing.

I'm not sure if she goes to court anymore, or if she has switched to only collaborative law.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                    No disrespect, but the quality of your lawyer pales next to the quality of your case.
                    None taken. But when self-representing, and told by duty counsel that you have an easy, straight-forward case, asking for what is just... each time, then get slaughtered by the opposing lawyer and judge... a quality lawyer seems helpful. At least, this has been our experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                      gzyo39, you could casually ask Stan at your interview who he fears...
                      I like.... I like... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix View Post
                        Helen Brooks in Whitby is magnificent. She has helped many of my friends who recommended her to me. Her name kept popping up when I was doing the ask-a-friend survey before hiring a lawyer. I had a consultation with her and ended up successfully representing myself thanks to her step-by-step instructions (how many lawyers say "you don't need to hire me, simply do this, this, and this and you will get what you are after" ---???) That totally impressed me. She's pretty amazing.

I'm not sure if she goes to court anymore, or if she has switched to only collaborative law.
                        Thanks Phoenix. Do you have any online info on her? She doesn't have a website, and I cannot find any useful information (about her or her practice) by googling her name. All I get is basic yellowpages-type listings that she's a lawyer in Whitby.

Any other useful info you may have, I'm definitely interested in. Thanks!

Comment

Seems her only website is:

Collaborative Family Law Association of Durham Region

After so many friends recommended her, I googled her name and found she had won some important cases for abused women (this was 3 years ago), representing them pro-bono, which won her points in my books. Then when I met with her for a one-time consult she not only tutored me in how to rep-myself, she then gave me back my $300 for the hour consult. I had tears in my eyes I couldn't believe a lawyer was giving ME back money! Her advice was dead on and I did fine in court. Meanwhile my other lawyer whom I had fired (hence I spoke to Helen) took $2000 from me and did NOTHING for it.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix. I'll be talking to my husband to see what he thinks of Helen... and will try to contact her after we hear back from our previous lawyer and see how he views the situation.

As for everyone else....

Any other lawyer suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

good luck with it...let us know how it goes

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X