No income increase for last 6 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
    the last place I worked I never got a raise for 7 years. I left three years after that So in 10 years there was only that one raise. Since I left they never got a raise (5years ago now) until the minimum wage went up and they had to increase the wages to meet the new minimum wage.

Well I thought for sure he would have gotten one with minimum wage increase. A skilled trade with licence only making 8$ more than min wage now. Oh well not much I can do. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A mechanic making $22/hr? Something is amiss.

I don't understand people who intentionally become underemployed. They pay less support but they make less money. It doesn't make financial sense.

On the other hand, someone who is underemployed and making money under the table is a deadbeat. (My wife) Hard to prove and sometimes not worth the money spent. Just know that this tactic is shortsighted. Karma gets them when they go to retire with no pension and no money saved in RRSP's.

Comment

Originally posted by Aghast View Post
        A mechanic making $22/hr? Something is amiss.

I don't understand people who intentionally become underemployed. They pay less support but they make less money. It doesn't make financial sense.

On the other hand, someone who is underemployed and making money under the table is a deadbeat. (My wife) Hard to prove and sometimes not worth the money spent. Just know that this tactic is shortsighted. Karma gets them when they go to retire with no pension and no money saved in RRSP's.

Thanks Aghast...my thoughts exactly.
        I looked online at base salary mechanic jobs. To start it’s between 50-60k for basic mechanic. And he has been gainfully employed for over 10 years with his license and for over 6 years at same place. I’m not sure how to go about proving.... or as you said if it’s even worth it.
        if my case does go before a judge at some point maybe my lawyer can try to use this as a bargaining tactic. Trying to get him to back off and pay what he owes maybe. Although up until this point there has been no reasoning as he is unreasonable.

Comment

So you have his financials now and getting support amounts reflective of that? You are trying to get more cause you think he should be or does make more? How much of a difference would you be getting monthly? Significant or minor? If it's minor, leave it be.

Comment

is he paid an hourly wage or book rate?

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
              is he paid an hourly wage or book rate?

Hourly.

Comment

Companies often compensate employees in different ways (some legit and some quite questionable). Does he work for a large or small employer? Does the company have any subsidiary companies? Does he work for a family member? Is he a member of a union?

Comment

We discovered that my partners ex wife made $3000 less than the year before. She works in a “salaried” union job but obviously she took time off last year. It won’t make a difference for child support but it does have an impact on s7 for university expenses. Sadly theres no way my partner can argue that she work her full amount of time but she can argue he was purposely under employed.

Comment

I'm going to chime in. I've worked for a family owned company for 30+ years. We used to get raises every year... anywhere from .25 cents to $1.00 per hour
                    Business died back and I didn't see a raise for 10 years. It was for $3.00 and I had to push for it. That was 10 years ago and I haven't had another raise since. We are about to negotiate again.
                    It happens.

Comment

This is a family run business. But there are two different locations with 6-10 bays each. So not small by any means.

I will just point this out to lawyer at some point if there is anything to negotiate.

I will update the Thread if there is anything my lawyer says about it. I definitely am not focusing on this point. Thanks for all the different points of view.

Comment

Well, well, well.... family business. Sounds like a trucking outfit. Lots of ways to scam/hide income.

This opens a whole new can of worms. Certainly worth poking around in to find out how many shares he owns etc., and that may lead to business valuation and so on. Lots of stuff on CanLii about non-arms length family business. They think they are so smart... until they get caught and have to pay a whopping amount of money to an ex. The mere threat of you having your lawyer look into this might be a very good bargaining tool....

My ex is slimy as well. Under reporting income sets off lots of alarms. Judges aren't stupid.

Comment

I should clarify. It’s not his family business. But run by a father and son. Been in business a long time. With two busy locations. Either what you say is true or he is just font a great mechanic.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X