This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing marital status with revenue canada

I am not sure how this works, I got the papers today from them and they want proof we separated December of last year.

The problem is he and I still lived under the same roof until July 23 due to finanical reasons. He and I split the bills but I had the hydro put in my name July 1st and the water and gas company need a copy of the deed (title) showing that I am the only owner of the property.

Revenue canada wants something showing that we have two separate addresses but I have no idea of where he is living.

Anyone deal with this before??

Ya I did, get all the proof you can, bills in your name only, copy of the deed, and most important 2 guarantor signatures filled out on the forms they sent you. I got my doctor, and my kids school principal both of which I informed when we separated and so they had record of it in their files, I had them photo copy their records and sent those too, along with rental reciepts, a copy of our interim sep agreement and just for good measure I went and swore out an affidavit that we were indeed living separately. After I sent it in it took only a matter of about 3 weeks and I got a letter that they accepted the proof...so my advise is load it with every scrap of proof you can get your hands on...especially if he has no known address, make sure you let them know that too! We live in the same building, but 2 separate self contained apartments..only so the kids can have open easy visitation..

Comment

Wow, I guess I got lucky. I sent it in over a year after our separation and I didn't have to provide any proof.

Can you not just tell Revenue Canada that you and he are separated, and his current address is his own responsibility to inform them?

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
        Wow, I guess I got lucky. I sent it in over a year after our separation and I didn't have to provide any proof.

Can you not just tell Revenue Canada that you and he are separated, and his current address is his own responsibility to inform them?
        They don't ask for proof when you do the form notifying them your separated, but then a year and a half later I got a letter telling me to prove it or I would have to pay back all the child tax benefits. Honestly they should simply ask for documentation upfront when you apply, it adds a huge amount of stress to an already stressful situation when they do this. If I hadn't bothered to let my doctor and schools know and they hadn't made note of it in their files I most likely wouldn't have had enough proof and would have had to pay back thousands, regardless of the fact that I am indeed separated.

Comment

OMG good to know in case they come after me next year. Especially since my ex hasn't bothered to update his new address with them. I would think that sending a copy of the page of the signed separation agreement where it says the separation date would be good enough proof, wouldn't it?

Again, I still think it's his responsibility to provide his new address to them, and they are just pressuring you to do their investigating for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
            OMG good to know in case they come after me next year. Especially since my ex hasn't bothered to update his new address with them. I would think that sending a copy of the page of the signed separation agreement where it says the separation date would be good enough proof, wouldn't it?

Again, I still think it's his responsibility to provide his new address to them, and they are just pressuring you to do their investigating for them.
            Nope not enough, you have to prove your living on your own, paying bills, rent or mortgage, and they ask that you give them 2 guarantors that know you are living separate...I sent my interim sep agreement too, but have read enough horror stories of having to pay back thousands that I sent in every scrap of evidence I could find. My ex didn't file taxes for 2 years so it didn't show he was separated or had a new address which I believe more than likely flagged me in the system. He had to fill out the forms too..not sure what to do if you don't even know where your ex is, but I would call revenue canada and ask them what to do in that case. Moral of story, document, document document.

Comment

Call them up, explain your situation and they will send you the forms you need to fill out with the affidavits etc. I had the same issue last year and it did take some time to get all the paperwork processed but they sent me everything I needed to be able to change everything on my own should he decide not to cooperate.

Comment

RC65 - Marital Status Change

this is what they require to change your status one way or the other.

Comment

the stupid part, you do not have to provide so much proof when you start living common law, they take you at your word.

My biggest problem is that we lived in the same house for 6 months after marriage ended as we owned the house. I have bought him out now though. I never told any doctors etc that we separated and no kids. I told friends and retained a lawyer back in feb or march, I have a copy of legal separation where it says we separated in December. He kept the bills that were in his name and paid them and I did the same. I changed the hydro to my name June 30th but the utilities needed a copy of of the deed to show I am the only owner other then that they refused to change it as all registered owners of the property are named on the bills.

I have already contacted revenue canada about changeing the maritial status and they sent me the papers to fill out. It just sucks that he wants to be such a child and not give me an address because he doesnt want me to know where he is living. I am not a crazy stalker and I really dont care what he does what his life and with who. I just want to finish tying up all the loose ends.

Comment

He doesn't have to give you his info, they will send a package to him as well - or you can give him the papers - to fill out and return directly to them without you ever seeing them. It's in his benefit as well so perhaps you can frame it that way to him as incentive to get it done?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                      He doesn't have to give you his info, they will send a package to him as well - or you can give him the papers - to fill out and return directly to them without you ever seeing them. It's in his benefit as well so perhaps you can frame it that way to him as incentive to get it done?
                      that would be all well and good except he has turned into a total asshole instead of just of being a half one. The last time he and i talked (after he left a message asking some questions about when he would be getting his money)he told me that just talking to me turned his stomach and made him sick (funny until the newest gf he and i were getting along good considering) and that i am never to call or contact him again. I guess i just send what I have with a letter explaining and see what they say. Too bad that they could not make this form part of the separation agreement.

Comment

Well let them send him the package directly then and you don't even have to worry about his side of things!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                          Well let them send him the package directly then and you don't even have to worry about his side of things!
                          That seems like the way to go. I think he changed his licence as yesterday was his birthday and he had to get his licence renewed also. He must also be getting his mail redirected because no more is coming to the house, or he is just coming over when I am not home and getting it out of the mailbox.

Oh shit i just remembered, I have to change my life insurance policy, he still is listed as beneficary on there. OOOOPPPS. There should be a check list of what to do after a separation/divorce. Maybe someone can do a sticky??

Comment

It seems Revenue Canada gives different answers. My ex and I split up, but lived in the same house for six months. They said we had to be living in separate households.

Be careful though. If you send in your form, follow up with a phone call! I sent my form in at the end of January, and never got an increase in my benefits. I sent it in along with my direct deposit forms. Because my payments begain going into my bank account, I didn't phone about the marital status form, since I sent them in together. Well, I still hadn't receieved back pay, so I called a month ago, only to be told they never received the marital status form. Huh? Did they pick on form and toss the second?

So, after sending it, follow up and see that they received it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X