Birth Certificate being hold hostage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Certificate being hold hostage

My son that I live with me 3 years ago, we have joint custody now is time for him to get his G1 drivers license now mom doesn't want to release his BC for unknown reasons, now the boy is unable to get his drivers license because of that

what options do I have to Get the birth certificate ?

I would almost want to ask your son to ask his mom for the birth certificate. Maybe coming from him she may be more flexible.

If not then I would look into getting a replacement birth certificate.

Comment

Order a replacement, it’s cheap and easy to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
        Order a replacement, it’s cheap and easy to do...
        That's what I did. Ex was withholding documentation. I reported all of it as lost and got replacements for everything. Passports are the only ones that are hard to do unilaterally, but those are covered in our separation agreement, 'cause I kinda knew she would be difficult.

Comment

So your son has asked Mom for *his* birth certificate, and she refuses to provide it to him, knowing that it's for the driver's license?

I assume your son is 16 then (given this is for a driver's license)? Go the replacement option if you have to then. He's actually old enough to get it himself now, if his Mom is not providing it.

I also had an ex who would not provide birth certificate (but my child was too little to know at the time), and I just went the "order a replacement" route.

[Does he have a Passport? Depending on province, some of them allow another document to be used, but mostly restricted to birth certificate, passport, or citizenship card. He needs his birth certificate anyway, so just get a replacement.]
          Last edited by dad2bandm; 09-25-2019, 01:29 PM. Reason: Other document options text added...

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            Passports are the only ones that are hard to do unilaterally, but those are covered in our separation agreement, 'cause I kinda knew she would be difficult.
            If she's generally difficult, I would think she would also be difficult when it comes to what's in the separation agreement. How does your sep agreement deal with passports?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X