School September - COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
    A large portion of the GTA isn't, but I do wonder if you'll be lining up first or have your child in front of you.
    Would having my child in front of me reduce my risk? I wish I had known that, I would have totally done that the other day when we went to the park.

When I go to the movies, I usually only go into 1 theater as well. Yet, your stage 3 rules say only 50 people in all of cineplex despite the number of theaters.
    A rule that was so blindingly stupid that it got reversed almost immediately.

It is telling that you latched onto it though .

Comment

Do you agree with the # of people, masks indoors and 6 feet apart rules? Ford doesn't.

I'm curious what everyone else will be doing, as we have 10 days left to notify the school in my region.

This was a part of the email they sent:
      What if my child is learning in-person and the class is required to stay home?

It is possible that with the return to school the Durham Region Health Department will direct us to have all students in a class and/or in a school to stay at home. In this situation, we will transition to remote learning for that group of students until they can return to school.

What will remote learning look like?

Students who opt-out will receive instruction remotely at home and will receive both RealTime (live) learning and FlexTime (independent) learning during this period.The program is intended to cover a similar amount of time that students would usually spend in the classroom learning and doing independent work with their teacher.

Will remote learning be the same as in-person learning?

It is important to understand that remote learning will not be the same as in-person learning but will be scheduled in a predictable manner and involve daily real-time opportunities.We aim to ensure students can learn the required curriculum expectations and engage in learning with a teacher and other students through a variety of virtual platforms in a structured format.The expectation of students engaging in remote learning will be that they are online and present.

Will my child be able to participate in remote learning with students and teachers from their home school?

Students engaging in remote learning may not be able to participate with students and teachers from their own school. We may be required to create virtual classrooms where students across the district in similar grades are attached to a teacher who will deliver online instruction.

Why do I need to decide by August 12th if my child is going to be learning remotely from home?

To plan for the successful return to school on September 8th, we need to know how many students will be opting for remote learning. We may have to adjust staffing across the system and some teachers will be assigned to provide remote learning for students at home. As a result, there may be less teachers assigned to physical classrooms at your child’s school.

Will students be able to switch between in-person and remote learning?

Direction from the Ministry indicates that students may not necessarily be able to move between remote and in-person learning, and families should anticipate the possibility to be wait-listed if they change their minds.The opportunity for switching between remote and in-person learning will be dependent on an appropriate class placement being available. This may be at the end of an instructional period (i.e. each term at the elementary level and each quadmester at the secondary level). Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis for students that have special circumstances.

Will technology be provided for my child?

Technology will be provided for students who are learning remotely and require it.Families will receive more information in the coming weeks on how to request technology.

Comment

The cases on this are starting to be reported, and they generally favour in-class attendance unless there are specific elevated health risks.

The first one was Chase v Chase -

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...0onsc5083.html

There is also Zinati v Spence -

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...0onsc5231.html
        Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Here is one that just came out in Ottawa that favoured remote learning -

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...0onsc5355.html

It is another decision by Justice Summers -

https://ottawadivorce.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23235
          Ottawa Divorce

Comment

The common thread in these cases seems to be:

The judge will side with the parent who has the majority of the parenting time.

I wonder if there will be a case where a judge sides with a NCP with regards to schooling. I suspect the probability is very low.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
              The common thread in these cases seems to be:

The judge will side with the parent who has the majority of the parenting time.

I wonder if there will be a case where a judge sides with a NCP with regards to schooling. I suspect the probability is very low.
              It is easier to figure out calculus and the whole meaning of a "number approaching 0" than the probability of it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                It is easier to figure out calculus.
                Calculus gets a bad rap. It is probably one of the easier math courses I have ever taken in my life. I'm not sure how it got such a bad reputation.

Statistics or topology, on the other hand, now those are complicated.

Perhaps because there is no "easier" version of calculus. Everybody thinks they understand probability, but that can get fairly complex as well.

Back on topic, I'm really hoping that a schooling disagreement in a shared custody parenting situation comes before the courts, that will really show where the courts stand on this issue.

Comment

Here is one where its joint custody and week about parenting schedule:
                  Verdict is back to school.
                  https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...0onsc5432.html

Comment

I think that one is pretty conclusive. The presumption is going to be back to school.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X