LoL@custody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
    I thought the support tables pre-supposed that the majority of child expenditures were born by the CP. Is that not the case?
    [I've never really looked at how they were initially calculated in 1997].
    I really don't know the technicalities of how guideline support is calculated or the justification of the 40% access thing.

We're all tainted by our own experiences though. My ex fought for the reduced cs based on 40% access (which calculated one way was 39% and another way was 41%).

What I did know however is that the access parent wouldn't prepare a packed lunch at his cost, wouldn't give her a $1 for popcorn day, never kept as much as a spare pair of underwear for the girl and, of course, didn't do any laundry for her either. He's never taken her to the doctor, dentist, or any other medical appointment. He honestly thinks that because he pays child support to me that I now work for him. And, if I want my "paycheque" then I'd better do as I'm told.

His access costs had to be very minimal at best. I even took care of his daycare arrangements on the days he had her (and footed the bill - small that it was).

When the parent stops using access (as in my case) - you're then stuck with the reduced child support based on access that isn't used, until a motion to change is brought. Presicely the reason I wouldn't accept reduced child support (not my first go around with the dad who doesn't show up), as I was aware that all the access could change in a heartbeat, based on his whim. And, it did.

Comment

In Quebec, in shared custody the parents are obliged to share all the costs for the 9 essential needs of children based on the custody time, down to the snow pant and stuff.

Comment

I really don't know the technicalities of how guideline support is calculated or the justification of the 40% access thing.
        And why would you want to bother yourself with that anyway.....it's probably some BS archaic formula that needs to be revamped.

We're all tainted by our own experiences though.
        True...some more than others, as evident in everyday life experiences

What I did know however is that the access parent wouldn't prepare a packed lunch at his cost, wouldn't give her a $1 for popcorn day, never kept as much as a spare pair of underwear for the girl and, of course, didn't do any laundry for her either. He's never taken her to the doctor, dentist, or any other medical appointment.
        Wow, wow, wow...is this for real?

He honestly thinks that because he pays child support to me that I now work for him. And, if I want my "paycheque" then I'd better do as I'm told.
        Is he a fan of the show "mad men" by any chance?

In Quebec, in shared custody the parents are obliged to share all the costs for the 9 essential needs of children based on the custody time,
        C'est Vrai

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
          In Quebec, in shared custody the parents are obliged to share all the costs for the 9 essential needs of children based on the custody time, down to the snow pant and stuff.
          Links - I do empathize with your case despite my own experience. Had dad participated in my daughter's life as a parent would be expected to, I would have had no issue with the child support reduction, but that wasn't my situation.

If you contribute as much as the other parent, there should be a threshold in order to reduce your cs accordingly. But to arrange your access in order to come in over the 40% or to use for a reason to short pay your responsibility is just wrong. JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
            And why would you want to bother yourself with that anyway.....it's probably some BS archaic formula that needs to be revamped.

True...some more than others, as evident in everyday life experiences

Wow, wow, wow...is this for real?

Is he a fan of the show "mad men" by any chance?

C'est Vrai
            Yes - that was the situation until he stopped showing up. He's been known to send her to school in pj's or yesterday's clothes because something was forgotten or she escaped the house in PJs (under stepdad's untrained eye) for her access time while I was working overtime.

He takes his parenting/familial ideas right out of the 1950s. He's told me it isn't "acceptable to him" to wait in the driveway rather than in the living room during an access pick-up. I've been told that I have to have my cell phone on at all times in case he needs to reach me, yet hasn't returned an email in over a year.

Upon his insistence our current agreement states I cannot leave this city without prior court approval, yadda yadda. But, he picked up and moved to another country with 10 days notice and shared custody. I agreed to that because he needs to control something and since I had no plans to go anywhere anytime soon, I figured I'd let him control that. LOL

Comment

He's told me it isn't "acceptable to him" to wait in the driveway rather than in the living room during an access pick-up.
              Why are exchanges taking place at a neutral location?

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
                Why are exchanges taking place at a neutral location?
                Well, it was changed to be from school to school for that very reason. He showed up twice to pick her up from school (June 2012). Never bothered after that.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                  Tell me Bill, why doesn't child support go over guideline when you are responsible for the child 100% of the time and therefore 100% of the costs. If guideline can be reduced to address a 40% contribution in expenses from the access parent, why isn't it increased to represent a 0% contribution from the "access" parent. Who, by the way isn't even requesting access any longer.
                  If you receive full table CS amount, it is assumed you have the child 100% of the time and pay for all their expenses.

So any parent that pays full CS, yet incurs expenses for that child (housing, clothing, non section 7 expenses), is paying MORE than guideline for their child and the CP is paying LESS because the NCP is incurring costs the CP should pay for.

Only when there is a custody sharing between 40% and 50% are the costs of the NCP considered - which is obviously not fair.

Comment

Only when there is a custody sharing between 40% and 50% are the costs of the NCP considered - which is obviously not fair.
                    And there lies the problem...where are the advocates for equality on this one, or are they just picking and chosing where they thing equality should be applied?

A logical answer will just be wishful thinking

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
                      If you receive full table CS amount, it is assumed you have the child 100% of the time and pay for all their expenses.
                      That is not entirely accurate, it does assume there are access times (but nobody really cares) (don't have a source).

So any parent that pays full CS, yet incurs expenses for that child (housing, clothing, non section 7 expenses), is paying MORE than guideline for their child and the CP is paying LESS because the NCP is incurring costs the CP should pay for.
                      Keep in mind there is duplication of costs the problem is that the "Tab" falls into the CP.

One day you neanderthals in the rest of Canada will catch up to Quebec and recognize that
                      --->living together doesn't mean married,
                      --->The income of both parties needs to be considered for child support because BOTH parents are responsible for the care of the children.
                      --->That when you have your child for 20-40% of the time you get up to a 20% break on CS (if you have them for 39.9999% of the time).

Seriously, fix your provinces!

Quebec also now imposes "revision terms on spousal support", ending support if a spouse doesn't make adequate efforts to work - they're on to the lazy ex-wives who want to keep the benefits of marriage and don't provide the services of it!

If we don't get destroyed by all our other problems, its the best place for marital/like relations!!

Comment

One day you neanderthals in the rest of Canada will catch up to Quebec and recognize that
                        --->living together doesn't mean married,
                        --->The income of both parties needs to be considered for child support because BOTH parents are responsible for the care of the children.
                        --->That when you have your child for 20-40% of the time you get up to a 20% break on CS (if you have them for 39.9999% of the time).

Seriously, fix your provinces!

That is a very "unpatriotic" thing to say about other provinces and the people in it Links...what has got into you?

Quebec also now imposes "revision terms on spousal support", ending support if a spouse doesn't make adequate efforts to work - they're on to the lazy ex-wives who want to keep the benefits of marriage and don't provide the services of it!
                        One will think you like Qubec so much

I hear you man..... Pouvoir de Québec

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X