X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more confused than ever: motion & settlement conference

Hi everybody
    I am about to file a motion about our schedule. It is a "short" motion but duty counsel told me I should provide an affidavit. I have been told everything by them from be specific (which is my intention) to ask for everything. We have a settlement conference a week later so i don't want to overburden the judge and anger him/her when the stuff could go in the settlement conference, but I don't want to be told, "why didn't you ask for this before?"
    What I am confused about is the relationship between the conferences and the motions. If you want an order to be made, does it have to be at a motion? Or can you ask for an order to be made at a settlement conference? Or do you have to ask permission at the settlement conference to file a motion if the other party does not agree?
    Are only the motions part of the trial evidence or are affidavits sworn for a conference also part of the trial?
    Also I have to refute some of his affidavit material - lawyer told me at the time it was not worth it to reply but I don't want it staying on the record. Where do I deal with this, motion or case conference? Again, I don't want an order made based on false info.
    Thanks in advance. I am so stressed out about this I am not sleeping so hard to think straight. It is really nice to have the benefit of people who have been to court - I am in the category of people who really can't afford a lawyer but can't get legal aid - I would pay my excellent lawyer but she is on leave and I can't afford to "start over" til she comes back.

bump please

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X