View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 AM
iona6656 iona6656 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,026
iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by calvinfive View Post

I just amended my tax return to add the claim that I have an eligible dependent for this tax credit. My court order says neither parent shall pay the other any child support due to shared parenting.
If your ex is doing the same thing. CRA will hold both your returns until you guys figure something out. My ex did the same thing, changed his return to try to claim the credit. Held up my return and his. We had no order last year. But once I sent in letters showing that he started paying voluntary child support last December- he was disallowed any claims to the eligible dependent credit or UCCBs.

So, it would make more sense for you guys and to work it out amongst yourselves who claims it. Alternating years seem most appropriate.

My ex tried to ask for us to alternate years at our settlement conference and judge said if its not shared custody its not appropriate. I guess it never hurts to ask.
Reply With Quote