? re: wattage and pendant lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? re: wattage and pendant lights

Are there any electricians in the house?

Am I legit going to burn the house down, if I put a 72W in a hanging light pendant with a 60W max lighting scenario?
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

I think csa ratings prevent fire. You may just blow a fuse or pop the light bulb.

Im not an electrician but I modified an ikea plug in pendant and track system. It never blew and the ikea guy got excited over my "hack".

Granted I dont live there anymore...

Google?

Comment

The extra heat might melt something like, say, the insulation covering the electrical wires in the fixture, which will hopefully short out and blow the breaker before igniting something else..

Probably no-one really knows how much safey margin there is in those ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
        The extra heat might melt something like, say, the insulation covering the electrical wires in the fixture, which will hopefully short out and blow the breaker before igniting something else..

Probably no-one really knows how much safey margin there is in those ratings.
        I had that happen to a lampshade. I put a higher wattage bulb in the light and within a few hours the lamp shade fell down due to the heat melting the plastic around the metal that held it up.

Comment

This may sound over the top cautious, but just on the off chance even a minor fire or damage occurred, I would worry about insurance and if they would consider that the homeowners fault.

Comment

I'd be careful about that.

As an aside, I switched all my bulbs to LED (flat pancake bulbs) and there has surprisingly been a noticeable reduction in my electrical bill. Cost of bulbs are very expensive. I switched EVERY bulb in my home including fridge, stove, closets, bathroom vanities, reading lights etc. Would recommend anyone doing this if they want to lower monthly electrical costs.

Comment

I wouldn't risk it

Comment

Drats.
                Now I have to come up with another idea to brighten up this particular spot in the house. Nothing can be simple!
                I need a light bulb moment.
                Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

LEDs are very bright at much less wattage.

Comment

What are you trying to do? Get brighter light without changing the light fixture? If so, check out if you can get a bulb replacement in fluorescent or LED. You should be able to get more light output for significantly less wattage that way (or in your case brighter light for the 60 w that is allowable).

Or maybe a good excuse to replace the fixture!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8D4AsLzlM0

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X