No announcement yet.

Mother has rejected 14 year old daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um... All these words are great and all but...

Child is >14.

Child can doctor and remove consent from one or both parents to make inquiries about their health and well being. As well, they can do this with the school but, it takes a little bit of understanding that they have the legal right to do this with the school. Medical professionals are VERY aware of this. In fact, "age" doesn't matter for most of this and is up to the professional to determine if the "child" has the mental capacity to make this determination.

So, really what does "sole custody" mean after the age of 14. NOTHING. Cops can't enforce residential agreements. Why bother with legal "stuff" when the kid can simply do it themselves.

Ugh... After 14 its not worth going to court over.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      Um... All these words are great and all but...

Child is >14.

Child can doctor and remove consent from one or both parents to make inquiries about their health and well being. As well, they can do this with the school but, it takes a little bit of understanding that they have the legal right to do this with the school. Medical professionals are VERY aware of this. In fact, "age" doesn't matter for most of this and is up to the professional to determine if the "child" has the mental capacity to make this determination.

So, really what does "sole custody" mean after the age of 14. NOTHING. Cops can't enforce residential agreements. Why bother with legal "stuff" when the kid can simply do it themselves.

Ugh... After 14 its not worth going to court over.

This

But I think it also has to do with getting the mother to stop harassing the professionals and embarrassing the child. No custody arrangement does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        So, really what does "sole custody" mean after the age of 14. NOTHING.
        I believe it affects passport applications and passport possession. The mother's signature is required on the passport application until the child is 16 if custody is joint. After she turns 16, the child can apply for her own passport.

In the original poster's case, I'm guessing the passport application may be relevant between the time the pandemic dies down and daughter's 16th birthday.

Right now D14 is legally permitted to, say, undergo a sex change operation without consent of one of the joint guardians, but she may not apply for a passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
          Fair enough. My comments are therefore applicable to all those who are hellbent about spending thousands upon thousands to obtain sole custody (of children <14) without understanding what sole custody really offers. Most often, parents are hellbent on obtaining sole custody in a possessive nature and as a mere means to retaliate against the other parent.
          In 98.324% of the cases the "sole custody" request is exactly that. As well, in many cases, even clinicians and other professionals won't move forward with anything unless both parents agree despite a court order. Their professional practice requirements and ethical obligations are primary to their duty of care not a court order for "sole custody".

Comment

Originally posted by CoolGuy41 View Post
            I believe it affects passport applications and passport possession. The mother's signature is required on the passport application until the child is 16 if custody is joint. After she turns 16, the child can apply for her own passport.

In the original poster's case, I'm guessing the passport application may be relevant between the time the pandemic dies down and daughter's 16th birthday.

Right now D14 is legally permitted to, say, undergo a sex change operation without consent of one of the joint guardians, but she may not apply for a passport.
            You can sever the issue of passport nonsense from sole custody. No one will ever win "sole custody" on a passport issue. Ultimately, in the pandemic no one was traveling, passports are not needed and it could be years before people start to "leisure travel" again.

Travel is not important enough to fight over. Canada is a huge place, lots of places to go and see. Travel is the fight for rich people. 95% of separated parents have no money and can't travel.

Also if you fight over a passport in court the only people traveling are the lawyers because they will suck both parents dry.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X