This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mess View Post
    Canada Revenue Agency: What are the situations in which you cannot claim the amount for an eligible dependant?

It's not really an "unenforced grey area", it is a poorly worded exception to the general rule made due to a court case won against the CRA a few years ago.

lynx, the set-off method of CS means that each parent pays the other support, but the lessor amount is deducted from the greater to simplify payments. The principal is important to keep the responsibilities of each parent equal, that they exchange income information etc.
    Originally posted by lynx002ca View Post
    Can you point me to where it says I can?
    Mess already did.

Comment

This is giving me a headache. Here's what I understand from CRA notes:

In the year you separate you can claim either the spousal deduction (303) or sporusal support (230/220) but not both. You claim whatever is best for your tax situation. You cannot claim the eligible dependent 305 line (this is effectively the equivalent 303 so it's just bookkeeping)

In subsequent years, with 2 or more minors involved, both parents may agree to claim one minor each under 305, or, with 1 minor, they may alternate years for the claim. the main point is that you don't both claim the same minor in the same year. Shared custody appears to be a requirement for this scenario as the minor must have been living with you during the year, although I didn't see anything in the CRA bulletin on the % custody explicitly.

Do I have it right?

Comment

"In subsequent years, with 2 or more minors involved, both parents may agree to claim one minor each under 305, or, with 1 minor, they may alternate years for the claim. the main point is that you don't both claim the same minor in the same year. Shared custody appears to be a requirement for this scenario as the minor must have been living with you during the year, although I didn't see anything in the CRA bulletin on the % custody explicitly."

Where do you see this information? That both people playing child support paragraph from earlier in the thread is makes no sense to me at all if that's what the justification is...

Comment

Can you provide more details about that court case? I'm trying to appeal Rev Canada refusal to give me the dependant tax credit and I'm in the 50/50 situation.

Canada Revenue Agency: What are the situations in which you cannot claim the amount for an eligible dependant?

It's not really an "unenforced grey area", it is a poorly worded exception to the general rule made due to a court case won against the CRA a few years ago.

lynx, the set-off method of CS means that each parent pays the other support, but the lessor amount is deducted from the greater to simplify payments. The principal is important to keep the responsibilities of each parent equal, that they exchange income information etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrmex View Post
            Can you provide more details about that court case? I'm trying to appeal Rev Canada refusal to give me the dependant tax credit and I'm in the 50/50 situation.
            Spousal Equivalents

Comment

That's definitely interesting, but it just bothers me that it's not common knowledge in the CRA, and it's not clearer in the wording.

They should just come out and say "Yes, in a 50/50, you can each claim a dependent" I mean. why isn't it clear like that?

Anyways, thanks for the info everybody

Comment

Originally posted by lynx002ca View Post
                "In subsequent years, with 2 or more minors involved, both parents may agree to claim one minor each under 305, or, with 1 minor, they may alternate years for the claim. the main point is that you don't both claim the same minor in the same year. Shared custody appears to be a requirement for this scenario as the minor must have been living with you during the year, although I didn't see anything in the CRA bulletin on the % custody explicitly."

Where do you see this information? That both people playing child support paragraph from earlier in the thread is makes no sense to me at all if that's what the justification is...
                In addition to the post above, here is the official CRA page. The key point is the offset payment method where you pay your ex support and she pays you support, each based on your individual incomes results in the situation and exception under the "Note" at the bottom:

What are the situations in which you cannot claim the amount for an eligible dependant?

Comment

This part from CRA could not be clearer in my mind:

You can claim a dependent if:

The claim is for a child for whom you were required to make support payments for 2010. However, if you were separated from your spouse or common-law partner for only part of 2010 due to a breakdown in your relationship, you can still claim an amount for that child on line 305 (plus any allowable amounts on lines 306, 315, and 318) as long as you do not claim any support amounts paid to your spouse or common-law partner on line 220. You may claim whichever is better for you.

-------------------------

Now comes the tricky part and I must be losing it because I just don't understand the exception, how can your ex pay you support if she's actually paying nothing?

Anyways, I made the claim for a dependent and I'll try and prove my point but I'm 99.99% sure it's coming back especially because I claimed money on line 220

Comment

My understanding is that if your ex has income and you have income you pay child support to each other in a Shared Custody situation - so say she pays you $100/mo and you pay her $600/mo - the net is you pay her $500. You both pay CS so neither can claim the deduction - hence the CRA note saying you come to an agreement where only one of you claims the child each year (or if you have 2 kids you claim one each, every year). CRA will flag the returns if you both claim the same child in any year, and deny both claims.

In the court case details that MESS posted it looks like that person successfully claimed even though he didn't have Shared Custody and only he paid child support. So perhaps it's even more flexible that that.

Comment

Sorry my post at the beginning should have said "You CAN'T claim a child..."

I tried and explained it to my ex, we'll see what happens, I'll definitely update this ticket when I find out.

Comment

Sorry my last post at the beginning should have said "You CAN'T claim a child..."

I tried and explained it to my ex, we'll see what happens, I'll definitely update this ticket when I find out.

Comment

After reading above it got me thinking as to why not come to terms with the other parent and relabel the offset child support amount to periodic spousal income split and resulting tax deduction codified by SA. Two co-operative parents in harmony is best for the kids. As a bonus, resulting eligible dependent amounts are open for both parents to claim and fully legit.

Comment

Thank you for the pointer. The article is quite complicated but it seems to me that I should be even more entitled to the dependant credit that the guy that won the case. I have two kids, a true 50/50 agreement, and I agreed with my ex that each of us claims one child. Nevertheless, Rev Canada rejected my claim because I currently have a higher income that my ex and therefore I pay her child support. What am I missing?

Comment

I have no idea what you said to them or what documentation you offered or what you referenced your question to. I don't know if you spoke to a 1st help desk hired to work during tax season or a senior manager.

I provided a link to a CRA page which explained the exception. I suggest you call with that page open in front of you, read the excerpt aloud to them and ask them what they think it means.

Comment

Help!!

I have been rejected for the eligible dependent claim - I claimed one of three children, that live with me 50%. We use the set off method in the SA. My ex did not claim this child, she claimed another.

I sent the paragraph regarding the exception that neither can claim with my answer to my assessment, but I was still denied.

Who here pays CS (via the offset method), AND successfully claims eligible dependent? Were you initially denied? What method did you use to succeed (write a letter, call, etc).

Also, does the wording of the SA need to state more than the set off method - should it explicitly state that each actually pays the table amount to the other rather than simply the greater income earner pays the other the difference in table amounts?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X