Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are people saying that a woman that has been living with their husband for 30 years and for argument's sake gets thrown out of the house to make room for new younger girlfriend should receive nothing?

If you are saying that, you're an asshole - the system might be too far one way but its probably revenge on the assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
      Are people saying that a woman that has been living with their husband for 30 years and for argument's sake gets thrown out of the house to make room for new younger girlfriend should receive nothing?

If you are saying that, you're an asshole - the system might be too far one way but its probably revenge on the assholes.
      No she gets half of accumulated assets. Half of future earnings that are not hers is theft.

Comment

----/deleted/--
        Last edited by mcdreamy; 05-21-2014, 04:18 PM. Reason: Skip the personal attacks

Comment

Arabians situation is unique in the fact that there was a business involved and he managed to move assets and do some other stuff so that she got nailed with all the debt. With her its not so much SS as it is getting the money from him to repay his half the debt.

Do I have that right Arabian??
          Last edited by mcdreamy; 05-21-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

You are correct Standing. My case, and all other SS Orders, are decided individually on a case-by-case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
              No she gets half of accumulated assets. Half of future earnings that are not hers is theft.

Spousal support isn't half of future earnings.

It also isn't "theft" if it's awarded to you in court. In fact, I'd say that was the opposite of illegal.....

Comment

Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
                I'm not talking about arabian here;
                but lets say you got to decide, that would be the rule?

What if there were no assets?
                Your proposal is unreasonable,

I agree theft can sanctionned by the courts and ethically it is still theft - just because the legal system says it that REALLY doesn't make it right. I find some people on this forum think the courts are actually right, they don't realize its a broken system just muddling its way through

Spousal support isn't half of future earnings.
                It can be (after considering everything)

Comment

Originally posted by sioux View Post
                  So you are saying court is always right then in its judgement?

I hope not.....examples

1. someone convicted of murder by a court, only to be found not to have done it years later (thanks to DNA)

2. Someone lying under oath to get their way

You get the gist. My points are in response to your "court ordered it comment"

I never said the court is always right in it's judgement. You are putting words in my mouth.

I said if the spousal support is ordered by the court - it could not be construed as theft - ever.

The court won't order someone to steal from another, it may order someone to pay something to the other....but this is an award, not "loot" from a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                    I'm not talking about arabian here;
                    but lets say you got to decide, that would be the rule?

What if there were no assets?
                    Your proposal is unreasonable,

I agree theft can sanctionned by the courts and ethically it is still theft - just because the legal system says it that REALLY doesn't make it right. I find some people on this forum think the courts are actually right, they don't realize its a broken system just muddling its way through

It can be (after considering everything)

Sure, it could be half of future earnings....but it could also be a big fat ZERO.

And, FYI, I don't think courts are always right - but seriously now, calling people awarded spousal support thieves is just painting everyone with the same brush. The system isn't designed to be blanketly applied to everyone in the same manner. Some are entitled, some are not. Some get too much, some don't get enough. There will be no "fairness" across the spousal support spectrum because each situation is so very different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
                      You call it theft - the law calls it compensation.

I'm disgusted by some of the injustice that happens in family court - especially where the best interest's of children are concerned. Canadian kids are being hurt by not having 50/50 parenting as basic law. Every day I read posts about parents losing rights to their own offspring .... intolerable.

Be it future earnings or our future generation - the system is not perfect, but it's all we've got. It's forums like this one that make people more aware of what's going on in courts. Name calling and pointless accusations won't fix the system.

Comment

• I will go a step further than Janibel - it is a self fulfilling prophecy for some. How is this any different than family court? ...one person doesn't get their way or doesn't have their personal views wholly supported and they get pissy, inappropriate and their argument becomes very self centred.

We are each entitled to our own views and opinions. Sometimes they are swayed by listening to others, sometimes they aren't. At the end of the day my opinion is mine and I respect others to have their own regardless of how differently they are from mine. I don't need to convince anyone why I feel the way I do but this forum and my opinion are free. I do however, not feel some of the slander and rude comments that go on on this forum are appropriate at all. However, that's just my opinion. And it's still free

Comment

• 1. He didnt leave me for someone younger and more beautiful, he was kicked out. He wasnt seeing the Cuba Diva when we split. He was caught completely offguard and anyways he prefers chicks with dicks.
                          2. She is 7 years younger, ugly as all hell, name it--short, fat, uneducated, 2 children from 2 different men, get the drift? I give her this, he claims he is "normal" now. She even says openly and publicly, " He no 100%", and I would like to add, but the $$ is good.
                          3. It was NOT my sole decision to stay at home, one doesnt stay at home for 29 years if the spouce objects.
                          4. I am working, supporting myself and using my SS to put my son through school, that is my choice and I am proud of it. Even if I was to invest it for retirement that is my right. You don't like it? Too bad!!!
                          5. His lies were so over the top, that I receive more in SS then he claimed on Line 150 for the past 10 years.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you think I will kiss my SS good bye--because you object or think its theft, you are going to be very disappointed with your ranting and raving, it aint gonna work.
                          The dude is going to pay and I am going to collect, that is the law, that is what the judge said at CC, that is what the arbitrator ruled and it is happening now.

Comment

• Originally posted by momforever1956 View Post
                            1. He didnt leave me for someone younger and more beautiful, he was kicked out. He wasnt seeing the Cuba Diva when we split. He was caught completely offguard and anyways he prefers chicks with dicks.
                            2. She is 7 years younger, ugly as all hell, name it--short, fat, uneducated, 2 children from 2 different men, get the drift? I give her this, he claims he is "normal" now. She even says openly and publicly, " He no 100%", and I would like to add, but the $$ is good.
                            3. It was NOT my sole decision to stay at home, one doesnt stay at home for 29 years if the spouce objects.
                            4. I am working, supporting myself and using my SS to put my son through school, that is my choice and I am proud of it. Even if I was to invest it for retirement that is my right. You don't like it? Too bad!!!
                            5. His lies were so over the top, that I receive more in SS then he claimed on Line 150 for the past 10 years.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you think I will kiss my SS good bye--because you object or think its theft, you are going to be very disappointed with your ranting and raving, it aint gonna work.
                            The dude is going to pay and I am going to collect, that is the law, that is what the judge said at CC, that is what the arbitrator ruled and it is happening now.
                            I am short and not my ideal weight. Does that mean I am ugly????

Comment

• Beauty is truly inside, but the previous posters suggesting a divorce happened because he found younger and more beautiful, does not reflect the truth.
                              Every case is different, and in my particular case, he was caught, (chicks with dicks) and was outof MY house, (please dont comment, It is my house as I live in it and own it 100%) in 15 minutes after 29 long years.
                              Eight of those years was in therapy as I knew something was wrong. For eight years, once a week at 150 dollars an hour, I was told over and over, nothing is wrong, I am just crazy. His main complaint was that I weighed myself every morning, that really bothered him.

Comment

• Originally posted by arabian View Post
                                So not only I'm a thief I'm ugly?????
                                I didn't say you were a thief but if you are taking someone else's earnings after you are divorced I believe it is wrong and should be treated as thievery . As for being ugly I haven't seen you nor do I care too. If I was to judge by your words here I do find your personality unatractive.

This is not meant as a personal attack just answering your questions.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X