X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why kill the weeds when you can smoke 'em

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
      Down side is the amount of jobs that are going to be lost though - this effects people across the country as many people work in oil service industry, not just on the rigs. I shudder to think about people losing their jobs and being stuck with big mortgages and homes they can't sell. In the early 80's Alberta suffered tremendous economically whith the Federal Liberals and their National Energy Policy. MANY people lost their homes and businesses. People haven't forgotten the wide-spread economic devastation of the Liberals. I remember our first home mortgage jumped to 18% paying upwards of 22% for equipment loans. IT was insane.
      there is a downside to high gas prices also, the tourism industry suffers.

Comment

Economically and enviromentally canada is probably better off with high gas prices even when considering all the spin off benefits of low gas prices....

I wonder actually now that prices are low people will drive more thus causing more pollution but what about
        The reduction of the oilsands shouldnt this situation be enviromentally bet net positive?

Comment

I don't think that people will change their usual habits because prices are low - most are just happy for the extra $$$ every week. You can bet that the cost of gas will go way up once vacation time comes around ...
          McGill professor heads ‘ecofiscality’ committee studying ways to tax pollution | Montreal Gazette

Comment

I honestly think gas prices well go lower yet. Listening to people speak this isnt going to resolve it self any time soon. I see this lasting a year or more. Maye 75 dolar oil by Christmas. And there is a greener solution Natural gas. just my 2 cents.

Comment

Expansion projects in the oil sands are being delayed or indefinitely postponed while oil proces are low - which to me is a good thing, development up there has been like a runaway train trying to get the stuff out of the ground as fast as possible, and anything which creates a bit of breathing room is welcome. I think Alberta is in for some culture shock, as people who are used to $300K incomes from oilpatch jobs have to downsize their expectations. Perhaps we won't be seeing quite so many brand-new shiny extended-cab Ford trucks at every stoplight.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                Expansion projects in the oil sands are being delayed or indefinitely postponed while oil proces are low - which to me is a good thing, development up there has been like a runaway train trying to get the stuff out of the ground as fast as possible, and anything which creates a bit of breathing room is welcome. I think Alberta is in for some culture shock, as people who are used to $300K incomes from oilpatch jobs have to downsize their expectations. Perhaps we won't be seeing quite so many brand-new shiny extended-cab Ford trucks at every stoplight.
                I agree, it is a bad thing for a many but it positively affects many more. to me the oil industry is another example of the rich get richer. If people would learn to live the simple life, a job loss would not effect them near as much as it does. This doesn't just go for the oil industry, it goes for every job out there. Many people live outside their means and rely on credit to get them by and then when life throws them a curve ball they lose their job, their house, their vehicles and their lives. Everyone is replaceable and nothing is forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                  Many people live outside their means and rely on credit to get them by and then when life throws them a curve ball they lose their job, their house, their vehicles and their lives. Everyone is replaceable and nothing is forever.
                  Absolutely - one of my favorite TV shows is Doomsday Preppers. The show is about American families who, for whatever reason, feel the need to prepare for every catastrophe that life could throw at them. These are extreme (paranoia) measures of course, but the basic idea is sound.

What happens when you get laid off, divorced, injured, power goes out for 2 weeks etc? It makes sense to have a backup plan especially in today's free-for-all economy. Most people are living pay check to pay check and are up to their wazoos in debt. It makes sense to have something to fall back on in a SHTF situation.

I garden, preserve food, and have long term supplies just in case. Came in real handy when Ex and I separated. No need for tin hats and ammo though, just some kind of plan B to keep out of debt when the money is scarce.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X