This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support and S7 amount

I make $60K and my ex make the same amount. She has the our 4 yr old. I'm paying $925 (CS+S7 babysitting amount). Temporary consent became court order. I'm in Ontario. Is this amount fair? We are still in the middle of custody battle. Can I get this order changed as the amount is giving me financial hardship. Thanks for any inputs.

$925 breaks down into $557 table amount + $368 daycare.

Assuming you are paying 50% of daycare, so total daycare is $368 * 2 = $736/mo, which is $34/day.

Seems above-board to me...

If you are successful in obtaining 40% (or more) time with your daughter, then the $557 goes away.

Next year your daughter should be in school, so the daycare costs will be very much less.

Are you sure that she is not billing you for babysitting above and beyond what is required for her to work? (e.g. so she can have free evenings) or additional babysitter/nanny services like cooking/cleaning?

See here for Child Support guidelines - these are generally followed pretty closely. About Child Support in Canada
    Last edited by dinkyface; 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

With what you're paying it amounts to $11100/year leaving you $48,900 to live on. If you can't live on that on your own, how do you expect her to do it with a child? Her expenses would be a lot more considering she has custody of the child and incurs the expenses related to maintaining a home for the child.

Perhaps instead of a reduction in child support you might review the expenses associated with your lifestyle and look for ways to cut back there, instead of on your child's.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
        $925 breaks down into $557 table amount + $368 daycare.

Assuming you are paying 50% of daycare, so total daycare is $368 * 2 = $736/mo, which is $34/day.

Seems above-board to me...

If you are successful in obtaining 40% (or more) time with your daughter, then the $557 goes away.

Next year your daughter should be in school, so the daycare costs will be very much less.

Are you sure that she is not billing you for babysitting above and beyond what is required for her to work? (e.g. so she can have free evenings) or additional babysitter/nanny services like cooking/cleaning?

See here for Child Support guidelines - these are generally followed pretty closely. About Child Support in Canada
        $34/day is NOT excessive for full day child care.

The average cost of full time childcare in Toronto $35 - $45/day. Even the city's program is $$38.40/day or $835.20/month for a 4 year old. Be glad your kid isn't an infant, then the cheap rates start at $62/day.
        Last edited by blinkandimgone; 01-20-2011, 08:02 PM. Reason: the voices told me to...

Comment

Thanks Blink for that reality check on daycare costs. Looks like the UCCB is way off the mark.

Comment

You're very welcome, since the inception of the UCCB there have been a plethora of news articles criticizing it's worth.

This article is a bit older, came out in 2009 and I'm sure the costs haven't gone down any. It's a great reminder for those parents who gripe about having to share half the costs - especially when they're paying well below the typical rates for their areas:

CBC News - Canada - Childcare report: How much is daycare in Canada costing you? Summary

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Add cola variable into the mix, somewhat accurate. Supplementary article comments yield allegations of bias, but I think that's normal depending on ones own biased views.

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post
                Couldn't agree more. Add cola variable into the mix, somewhat accurate. Supplementary article comments yield allegations of bias, but I think that's normal depending on ones own biased views.
                Now say that again in a YODA voice... PLEeeeeASE!

Comment

Yeah, Now put on a suit and you're good to go.

Comment

She lives with her parents and her mom babysits my son. I offered her to let my mother look after my son without any charges just like the way my mother used to help out when my son was born and she was the one who used to look after him while we go to work.
                    In other words, it is in the best interest of the child to spend equal time but she refuses to let me see him except on tuesday and every other weekends. On what ground can I get shared custody?

Comment

On the grounds that you're his father and unless they can provide reason why you shouldn't have 50-50 custody, that's what you want and expect.

Comment

lol, first hardship, now 50-50 custody ... Whats the material change again?

Comment

With regard to childcare, if your parents are willing to provide for less $$, that is grounds to vary the court order. However, as sole custodian, your ex has the right to choose whichever childcare she feels best for your child. Suck it up, or fight it (and it'd be a long one)...your odds are about 30% for a win...

Comment

I feel why should i be penalized financially and emotionally in this divorce. I love my son dearly and I am capable of unbringing him alone. Ever since he was born i give him bath, even until now, i take him to park to play or to swim in community centre, to see the doctors when he is not well or for immunization, i cut his hair, i do have a bonding with him and i want to strengthen my bonding with him. My ex is the one who was busy with her boy friend and she wants to penalize me financially and emotionally when she is the main culprit in this marriage breakdown. She walked out with my son to stay with her parents, she took our one year old brand new car and left me with 8 years old car and alienating the son to torture me financially and emotionally.
                            I am feeling very stressed and I hope she will be fair in our settlement for the best interest of our child. The child have a father and a mother so he is to receive love and care from both, unfortunately not under the same roof.
                            Am I a good superdaddy?

Comment

You will be when you can say all of that without the bitterness over the car and the financial and emotional strain...it takes time...hopefully the anger does not last, for that is the worst thing you can do to your son!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X