X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "equalization of net family property" - a new issue from ex

Hi, guys,

ex's lawyer yesterday raised a new issue - equalization of net family property - which is part of Item 5 of Parts ISSUE of Form 17c Settlement conference brief.

we officially separated in January 2003 without physical contact and financial connection and split family property equally. Since then, i have been living in a very low standard condition in order to save some money for my daughter future education. somehow my daughter (12 year's old) told ex that i saved a lot of money. so ex wants to get some free money from me. Next Wednesday will be the second settlement conference which mainly focuses on SS. This new issue will be part of the ex's claim.

I do not know the real meaning of the 'equalization of net family property' and give me some rough ideas on how to deal with this new issue on the court.

Thanks

nick
    july26, 2010

Net family property would be any property accumulated over the course of the marriage.

Your argument is simple, you are willing to divide any property during the marriage until the date of separation. All assets and savings accumulated post separation you will argue are not marital property. You have to argue that the date of separation is the cutoff point for marital assets and any attempt by her to gain from your frugal living would be unjust enrichment and nothing more then a transfer of wealth.

Comment

Thank you HammerDad

you make me more confident on this issue.

one thing is a bit confusing. if ex emphasizes that we are still couple legally. (the judge said i have to solve all the issue then the divorce can be granted.). Then both sides of properties are marital property. On the other hand, I feel that, at the day of separate we practically divorce. but legally we are still couple.

Do not know how to get it clear.

Thank you

nick
      july 26, 0201

Comment

Ok, so she has a new house or car, that is now part of the family assets and you are entitled to 1/2 the value.....see how that flies.

Yes you are still legally married. However, you have a date of separation (so long as you didn't have sex with her at any time since separation) at which point the family assets were divided and you moved on.

When it is suggested that your assets are to be included, first you argue that, no you have a date of separation at which point two households were created and assets were divided. If that fails, see what she is bringing to the table and how much she likes that.

Comment

Nick,
          Check out the Family Law Act of Ontario.
          Part 1, Section 4 (1) "Definitions"
          Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3

“valuation date” means the earliest of the following dates:
          1. The date the spouses separate and there is no reasonable prospect that they will resume cohabitation.
          2. The date a divorce is granted.
          3. The date the marriage is declared a nullity.
          4. The date one of the spouses commences an application based on subsection 5 (3) (improvident depletion) that is subsequently granted.
          5. The date before the date on which one of the spouses dies leaving the other spouse surviving. (“date d’évaluation”) R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3, s. 4 (1); 2006, c. 19, Sched. C, s. 1 (2); 2009, c. 11, s. 22 (1-3); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 2, s. 34 (1).

I think that should do it.
          My Ex tried to get me to give her half of the increase in my pension from the day we separated to today.
          He told her absolutely not going to happen.

Good Luck.

Comment

thank you Cobourg,

the 'Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3' you refer it to me are wonderful. I should go through this ACT, so i would not raise some simple easy questions.

in my understanding, the family court should follow this Family Law Act without doubts.

I have already printed and read the Family Law Rule which is pretty good and give me a lot basic knowledge about how to handle the simple things.

Could you please introduce me something more about the family law issues, that may help me a lot go through my legal procedure and argument, like the " Family Law Act" you refer to me.

Thank you

Nick
            july 27, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by nick2009 View Post
              Could you please introduce me something more about the family law issues, that may help me a lot go through my legal procedure and argument, like the " Family Law Act" you refer to me.

If you read the Rules of Procedure, then you have probably already googled Family Law Act and found Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3.

In Family Law there are only these issues to resolve:

1.Custody
              2.Access
              3.Child support
              4.Spousal Support
              5.Division of Family Property
              6.Divorce

Everything you can possibly think of falls into one of those categories.

You seem to have a good start. Now go forth and read more Grasshopper.

Comment

Thank you very much dadththeend.

you gave me a lot help before, so thinks a lot

at the very beginning of the legal procedure, i hired a lawyer, however, after paying 5 grands, i had not even got first case conference and i did not know how much i would pay to finish this whole case. by the way the other party got a legal aid so ex felt free to keep playing this expensive game. i can not afford it based on my income.

so before the first case conference, i decided that i should and had to be self-represented. then i googled a lot stuff (somehow i missed the most importanat part -family law act). And i learn a lot from the simplest affidavit form6b to financial statement form 13 and conference brief. one of the important factor to help me to reach today is that you guys and this forum help me a lot.

i appreciated all your works for building this forum and helping others.

wish all of you the best

nick
                july28, 2010

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X