Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final phase

Hello every one

I am kinda stuck. My depression is holding me at medium. I have been on disability for a while now. My ex, seemingly healthy is on welfare. The good thing is we haven't fought in a long time.

She uttered fear into the child. Fears her like the devil. He is going to junior high next year. Custody is 50/50.

Minding my own business and seeking best treatments I didn't pay attention when my ex said the child will go to JH in her area. That's some 25 km from where he went to school to grade 6 and where he was born.

Nah, I disagree. The bitch was only playing me by being nice and I know that. I just let it be until...….

Yesterday we had a meeting with the principal. Too many absences. Whose fault? She won't admit. She said she does her best the kid gets to school. The principal asked is the kid going to JH with his friends from KG to grade 6. She said NOOOO he is going in her area with his nephew. I didn't say a word.

But I will soon and all the stones will start rolling again. But I don't know how to tell her. I was quiet for 2 years and now I have to say "No, the child continues in his school zone". But she will say why didn't you say that before why now?

I feel as I need an excuse to break a deal that never happened.

That is where I need help. How do I tell her that I want the kid to go to JH in my area. When I ask the child he says he wants to go where his friends go. They go to school "B" which is even out of my school zone but still he went there for 7 years. If he goes to her school, school "F" he knows nobody but his cousin who is just 1 grade up.

I do not like to break promises but I never said that I agree I just noded once. However I still need to answer "why now, you lied and what not".

Any advice on this one?

"At the meeting with the principal the other day, you indicated that you thought that we had an agreement that our son would go to JH.

You must have misunderstood. Obviously it would not have made sense to decide where he was going to high school two years ago, there was no way of knowing what our situation would be today.

Given his friendship circles, it seems plain to me that continuing in his current school zone is in his best interests. Unless you have any objections, I intend to register our son in (local school) for next September.

sincerely,

Iceberg-the-needless-drama-king"

Comment

Yeah-right-needless. I raised the child more than she did but most importantly it is in his best interest to continue school here. If I tell her something like you suggested she will say "you never objected it before when I brought it up"

BTW I Guarantee she will take this matter to court.

Comment

just say you have thought about it and think that it is in the childs best interest to go to the area school for reasons x y and z. is it realistic a judge would say the child has to move to a school 24km away? probably not, or this school in which all the friends are going not close to either you or the other parent, and the child was just going to this particular school to keep them in the same school prior to separation and now you have both moved further away and it doesnt make sense to stay in the school area?

Comment

How this will be decided

Yo Ice!

If this goes to court, the following will be the deciding factors in decreasing order of importance:
          1) What does the child say he wants? Your post suggests she has the upper hand here because he "fears her".
          2) Who has the better lawyer? Your post suggests you are both weak here.
          3) Status quo & best interests of the child, other than what he says. I would say you have the upper hand here, but this factor is subjective.
          4) Which one of the parties has the penis and which has the vagina? The pronoun usage in your post suggests she has the upper hand here.

I don't think the verbal exchange at the principal's office would even make the list.

Her plan is the following:
          1) Move your son's school.
          2) Because he will then hate having to do the daily commute 25 kms from your place to the school (who wouldn't), he will hate spending weekdays with you. It will then be easy for her to convince your son to tell the judge that he wants to live with her.
          3) You become a EOW (every other weekend) dad and are ordered to pay her guideline CS ("child" support).

This is a tough one. At the very least have to communicate/negotiate with her. The email suggested by Janus is a reasonable start.

Comment

Thank you both. Het alienation is not directed at me but indirected. For example she won't say "do not love your daddy" but has said " In her religious book it says mother is 3x more important than father". (It doesn't). She wants to make him a good religious person (abstrain from sins) while she is f***ing like a bitch and doing other crap.

Still the kid says he wants to go to school where his friends go. In Alberta courts a loose long-hanging-stinky-down to her knees vagina won't help her here I promise. The only way she is gonna win is if my depression doesn't reduce. Stress is bad in my life.

She is on welfare because so she can get a legal aid lawyer. I thing I will self rep. if I heal. And unless she finds employment I will have to pay her CS because disability is different than welfare

Comment

Originally posted by The-Iceberg View Post
              Thank you both. Het alienation is not directed at me but indirected. For example she won't say "do not love your daddy" but has said " In her religious book it says mother is 3x more important than father". (It doesn't). She wants to make him a good religious person (abstrain from sins) while she is f***ing like a bitch and doing other crap.

Still the kid says he wants to go to school where his friends go. In Alberta courts a loose long-hanging-stinky-down to her knees vagina won't help her here I promise. The only way she is gonna win is if my depression doesn't reduce. Stress is bad in my life.

She is on welfare because so she can get a legal aid lawyer. I thing I will self rep. if I heal. And unless she finds employment I will have to pay her CS because disability is different than welfare
              stay strong my friend for your child, you need counseling to help you go through your depression, I know it's not easy. Try not to focus on your ex but your child and activities you have with the kid while in your care. Try to lower your expectations "bar", it will help big time in a long run.

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
                stay strong my friend for your child, you need counseling to help you go through your depression, I know it's not easy. Try not to focus on your ex but your child and activities you have with the kid while in your care. Try to lower your expectations "bar", it will help big time in a long run.
                Thanks Paco. I am very aware that she can even win custody. Everything is possible. The kid has good time when with me and we are 2 pals. He caught her lying multiple times. Yes he loves her of course but he knows who talks BS and who just has fun with him without mentioning his mom. Yet we will see what happens. This is "final phase". Who wins this time there will be no need for further major issues because after JH the kid will be old enough. She lost elementary school, not by court but because she was scared of court. I had the upper hand.

Comment

This is the never-ending story!

Coolguy41 is absolutly correct:

2) Because he will then hate having to do the daily commute 25 kms from your place to the school (who wouldn't), he will hate spending weekdays with you. It will then be easy for her to convince your son to tell the judge that he wants to live with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                    This is the never-ending story!

Coolguy41 is absolutly correct:
                    He goes the 25 km either way. The difference will be whether I will have to drive to the new school at her place or she will have to continue status quo.

BTW tayker you have a good taste in movies!

Comment

There is your case stick with status quo....register him in the present area.

This is the best option for your son and you.

Do you have anything in your agreement saying he will be going to school in her area?

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post
                        There is your case stick with status quo....register him in the present area.

This is the best option for your son and you.

Do you have anything in your agreement saying he will be going to school in her area?
                        Nothing in agreement. For JH I think you need both parents signature. If so it is likely leading to court. There is no single reason why I would let the kid be in her area for school. I know how things would go after that. Nothing good.

I should have let her know a long time ago that since our child was born and raised here will go here until he finishes High School. But instead she said he will go to her area.

One day we were sitting and waiting for dentist and she said to me "Don't you think it is fair that M goes to my area? After all I carried him for 9 month, gave him birth and so on. I was in no mood to debate so I just noded. Next time she said " I will register him soon" and I didn't say a word.

Now I feel as I agreed by nodding. I always do my best to keep my word so that is why I am anxious in this case.

Comment

Hey Iceberg! Haven't seen you on here for a long time!

Good to hear that your son has passed those earlier years when his health was quite tenuous (scary). You and your ex managed to make it work even though I recall it certainly wasn't easy.

Do you realize that while you contemplate junior high school and the power struggle you and your ex still have, that you have to realize that your son is soon going to be old enough to get a babysitting job? Unbelievable eh? They grow up so quickly!

Think about what junior high is all about to people of that age. (I personally recall watching my older sister protest the Vietnam War and listened to music from Woodstock while smoking my first joint). Age of discovery for sure! I'd regroup and have a few discussions with your ex about where you hope to see your son go in the future... agree to both of your respective assets as well as the areas that the other parent is stronger.

The last thing you want to do at this time is to embarrass your son with his parents squabbling over child custody. Instead, work out a plan where, no matter which parent he ends up living with for school, that works out best for him. Many kids at that age want to go to school where their friends go to. My son was different and quite independent and actually wanted change, but then he was an only child and had different socialization growing up (primarily in company of adults which isn't great but it is what it is).

It is a very lonely world out there. Hope you can find some good things to balance your life with. Your son will always love you, no matter where he lives.

Comment

Hi Arabian. Yes it's been a while since I was here. How are things over there? How's your son? When are you coming to Edm. so we can perhaps have that coffee we never had.

You are right about my son's age when in JH and believe me I know how to talk to him and about him. If things go her way I might see him less because I cannot drive 2x week from Millwoods to North. However my main fears are further alienation and when he needed his mom the most, except when he was sick, she wasn't there. She is not there now for him and will she ever be?

She has other plans. She knows I am not capable to drive that long and will get more days with him which will turn into something like EOW and eventually even worse. I will find him a counselor who specializes in PA or at least has decent knowledge so it can stop. It is lonely world indeed. When I was healthy I has 20ish good friends now that I am down...nix.

BTW my depression might have been MS. An MRI showed those lesions MS patients have but we do not know yet.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X