New personal loans after separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
    Yes this is maybe true, but it is debt large enough to justify the legal fees.

You could go to vegas and put it all on black for a 'coin toss'. At least then you'll get comped a dinner if you lose.
    Niagara falls... Border is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
      Yes this is maybe true, but it is debt large enough to justify the legal fees.

You could go to vegas and put it all on black for a 'coin toss'. At least then you'll get comped a dinner if you lose.
      My ex is trying to argue that I depleted family assets to reduce equalization payment since the issue occurred before marriage and the troubles that followed came after marriage. I incurred over 250k of legal debt.

Comment

That one is a crapshoot since he agreed to take on the debt as part of the marriage. Really it cuts down on both your equalization but he is allowed to attempt the argument that it escalated during the marriage creating a great deal of debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          That one is a crapshoot since he agreed to take on the debt as part of the marriage. Really it cuts down on both your equalization but he is allowed to attempt the argument that it escalated during the marriage creating a great deal of debt.

He made it very clear in writing during the marriage that he would not be responsible for this debt. I think I may have agreed to that in writing but I can't remember. 250k off any equalization payment would virtually leave me with nothing.

Comment

Yes but that is not his fault. You should have worked to pay down this debt.

You really keep digging yourself a bigger hole. You had a quarter million in legal debt during the marriage, you never paid any of it, you quit a well paying job to start a business, you don’t pay yourself but pay your new partner and you refuse to agree to sell the matrimonial home. If you lose this case you also pay his fees.

Comment

Yes but that is not his fault. You should have worked to pay down this debt.

You really keep digging yourself a bigger hole. You had a quarter million in legal debt during the marriage, you never paid any of it, you quit a well paying job to start a business, you don�t pay yourself but pay your new partner and you refuse to agree to sell the matrimonial home. If you lose this case you also pay his fees.

I did work very hard to pay down this bill but since I was paying these fees I couldn't contribute to any expenses so my ex had to cover my day to day spending. Does he really get to use that against me?

When you say I have to pay his fees do you mean fees from when we start and court proceedings or fees over the years he's tried to get me to sell the house?

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
                I did work very hard to pay down this bill but since I was paying these fees I couldn't contribute to any expenses so my ex had to cover my day to day spending. Does he really get to use that against me?

When you say I have to pay his fees do you mean fees from when we start and court proceedings or fees over the years he's tried to get me to sell the house?

But you quit a well paying job to work for yourself and pay your new boyfriend. Any attempts you made are moot as you made stupid financial decisions.

If he wins and can argue he is entitled to costs, he can argue for all of his costs from the start of the entire mess. This is why most of the people here have told you to smarten up.

Comment

But you quit a well paying job to work for yourself and pay your new boyfriend. Any attempts you made are moot as you made stupid financial decisions.

If he wins and can argue he is entitled to costs, he can argue for all of his costs from the start of the entire mess. This is why most of the people here have told you to smarten up.

I quit but but was "officially" laid off. My ex knows the circumstances of what happened though.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
                    I quit but but was "officially" laid off. My ex knows the circumstances of what happened though.

Then you should have worked to find a new job to meet your financial responsibilities. Your ex was not a personal bank account.

Comment

I was in similar situation. Ex held the matrimonial home hostage for 2 years. The judge granted my motion to force sale of the home. Ex pushed back said he would be homeless which is what happened to him anyway. Regardless the judge ordered sale of the home because ex was denying me access to my share of the equity. So a cautionary tale to the poster. If a judge didn't care that a mentally ill man would be homeless it will be even more likely he will order you to sell your home. You can't be unreasonable and prevent your ex from accessing what is his.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X