X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separated and thinking about purchasing property

Hi,
    I have recently separated (in November) and am thinking about purchasing a home. I would be not be using any joint money or marital money (there was none...just debt). Would my husband be entitled to half of the house?

He is not currently working and I think might be going on welfare.

Any advice for me to protect myself?

As long as you have a proper seperation agreement you should be fine with the house purchase. Your husband would have no entitlement to the property.

FN

Comment

If you have the means to purchase a home, then doing so would not entitled him to any share particularly since you are no longer together.
      However, he has a right to your share in the debt and can seek to have that compensated plus he may have a claim for Spousal support depending on the nature of the relationship and the household earnings etc.
      You would do well to seek to have a separation order put in place until any outstanding issues are resolved. This may save you alot of headache later.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X