X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School board involvement??

Hi All,

I have some evidence I want to get into the trial, but it requires the involvement of the receptionsists at the 2 schools my daughter has attended. The board won't allow them to file affidavits, so I'm gonna have to call them as witnesses. Any other ideas?? Anyone else have any experience in dealing with school boards??

Subpoena them as witnesses...only way to get around it. The board/districts hate to get involved.

Comment

Already have the paperwork done

Gonna have them both as witnesses, paperwork is done and will await a trial date

Comment

Can witnesses be used in a motion? How do you subpoena a witness?

Comment

Not unless the judge allows a hearing on the matter and allows witness testimony. They hate to do this because it tends to take a while. 1-3 days typically.

Basically assuming you make it to trial...you'd subpoena them as witnesses to testify. School board can't block them from doing that.

Try to get whatever supporting docs you can from the school for your motion. If it's an attendance issue...request a copy of their attendance to date. If it's grades related....get copies of the report cards.

If it's things like not having appropriate lunches/clothing etc...then you can do things like sending the principal/teacher a followup email on the issue after you are contacted. (Ie. Just to re-iterate our conversation earlier regarding %child% not having been provided __________. Please keep me in the loop should this issue reoccur. )

If the children are consistently being sent without appropriate food/clothing, then that's something the school should be contacting CPS/CAS on if it's re-occurring repeatedly. They are actually legally obligated to report suspected cases of neglect/abuse. (and not being provided with a lunch/proper clothing on a repeat basis IS a protection concern)

Think of this along the same lines as following up with a nut job ex...it's not the reply that matters...it's the date/time stamp on the email and documenting to WHOM it was sent.

(I have a much better relationship with my kids former school...I have their old principal on board, he's already written a letter for me about my son failing a grade, and has offered to testify on what he's personally seen re: stability when the kids are with me...the ex strong armed the superintendent to have a key portion of one sentence removed because she felt it "judged her".)

However, the original letter is on file with my lawyer, even though the revised one is on file with their school records. Principal has already told me he stands by the first letter and will testify to that effect...he was "asked" by his boss to remove the wording to keep the ex quiet.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X