Woman convicted of raping 15 y/o boy wins child support from him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman convicted of raping 15 y/o boy wins child support from him

No fooling. It's an older case, but is this the world we live in? You can be convicted of raping someone and then win child support from them so that they can be victimized over and over again?

County of San Luis Obispo v. Nathaniel J. 50 Cal.App.4th 842

Dear god.

Child support is the right of the child, which is clearly expressed in the court decision. This is the law, not something the judge is making up, or something he really had any control over.

The mother was required to seek support because she was on welfare. We have discussed similar situations.

IMHO there is nothing wrong about the support order. What we should be shaking our heads over is that the mother has custody of the child. Custody should have been given to the boy/his parents, due to the criminal act of the mother. This is what I'm shaking my head over, and what I would prefer to be addressed by revising laws.

Comment

Yes child support is the right of the child and being a child is the right of the child thanks to the legal system for stealing that. The mother should have been responsible for 100% of child support forever. You can murder somebody at 15 and get off easier

Comment

That was interesting, so I did some digging.

They had a mutually consenting sexual relationship. It was statutory rape because of his age.

She did not pursue the child support, it was authorities who did so on the child's behalf.

The judge ruled for CS because it is the right of the child to be supported by both parents, regardless of the circumstances of conception.

Presumably the mother had custody because the boy or his family didn't fight for it, or because she was considered the better parent.

I would hope that the boy could have sued her for damages in a civil suit that would more than have accounted for his CS obligation.

The big lesson I would take from this? Make sure boys know exactly where babies come from before adolescence, and that they are responsible for what their sperm does no matter how young they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post

They had a mutually consenting sexual relationship. It was statutory rape because of his age.
          The big lesson I would take from this? Make sure boys know exactly where babies come from before adolescence, and that they are responsible for what their sperm does no matter how young they are.
          Wow

It was rape.

What would you call it if a 34 year old had sex with your 15 year old? I'd call it rape.

Comment

There's such a huge double standard on this issue that corresponds to the social discrepancy on how sexuality is viewed on a gender basis on the whole.

But when they do studies on individual males who are molested or sexually abused, they find the same levels of developmental damage as females suffer.

In addition, part of the reason for the age of consent is because at the age this boy was, there are still undeveloped parts of his brain...mostly centered around higher-order reasoning and consequences. So even if you told this kid about consequences, he's not really old enough to fully comprehend it because he wasn't really fully developed mentally.

However, this woman was old enough to understand what she was doing and the associated consequences. Given that, I'm also surprised that they awarded her with custody. Her judgement around children is highly suspect. I wouldn't trust her anywhere near my kid.

I would hope that the boy could have sued her for damages in a civil suit that would more than have accounted for his CS obligation.
            Very good idea.

What would you call it if a 34 year old had sex with your 15 year old? I'd call it rape.
            I have a D approaching this age and as a parent, I'd be enraged in a situation like this. The kid just wasn't at an age to give consent or to fully understand the consequences. Its rape.

Comment

It wasn't my intention to imply it wasn't rape. Clearly there's a complete absence of mature, informed consent in there! However the brief original post could have been perceived as describing a 'stereotypical' rape where there is clearly a physical assault and complete absence of consent.

The case itself happened in the 90s. Perhaps we've come further in our realization about the damage male victims of rape experience.

While I was digging, I came across this link, which was also shocking.
              SupportGuidelines.com | Article: It's Ten O'Clock: Do You Know Where Your Sperm Are?
              It contains some crazy situations, which just make me believe everyone should be forced to freeze their sperm and eggs and get sterilized at adolescence, and then use reproductive technology later in life when they want to be a parent. The scenarios judges have had to rule on make me despair for humanity. Or Americans at the very least.
              Last edited by Rioe; 12-11-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

It wasn't my intention to imply it wasn't rape. Clearly there's a complete absence of mature, informed consent in there! However the brief original post could have been perceived as describing a 'stereotypical' rape where there is clearly a physical assault and complete absence of consent.
                I actually agree there needs to be better rape classifications in the U.S. and Canada, like they have for killings...i.e. murder 1 (intent), manslaughter, etc.

There's a great difference between someone who seeks out, abducts and molests/rapes a child, for instance...rather than a guy who at 18 had sex with a 15 year old girl that both liked each other. Both are crimes but a difference classification of crimes. And then both get registered on the sex offenders list. Its hard to get the details on what actually happened.

The reason isn't even so much for the perpetrator as much as it is for the general public. You can do a search on all the registered sex offenders in your area but its hard to determine which ones you really need to worry about. I'd be less worried about perp #2 in the described paragraph above as I would about perp #1.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X