Do court orders "age out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do court orders "age out"

We have a court order dated July 2012, dealing with various issues including the parents' birthdays. The kids are to be with the birthday parent regardless of the regular schedule. We signed a parenting agreement in 2014 that states something to the effect of "this agreement only deals with and replaces section "X" of 2012 court order regarding custody arrangements."

He has never brought the kids home on my birthday and it happened again this year. He says the court order is too old and doesn't count because it's too old.

I say the court order still stands because our agreement only dealt with the custody arrangements. So, do court orders age out?

Apologies if this question is somewhere on this board; I am in a rush (aren't we all).

Thanks!

No, they do not. Court orders (in this case custody orders) are effective until another order is issued or until the children are no longer "children of marriage" as defined by the legislation.

In your scenario, the order is 5 years old. Unless the kids are now 18+ and no longer in school, the order stands.

Comment

That's what I thought but decided to check my facts first. Thanks so much Hammerdad!

Comment

My wife's ex thought as soon as we married their agreement was void.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X