No announcement yet.

demanded phone calls on fathers access weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely NAY!!! My S7 is having a difficult time adjusting to the new access schedule, a call to me MOM would just exasperate the situation. If its just a weekend forget it. If its a whole week, then maybe 1 midweek call, but not at night before bed.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Opps should have added:

Not that you would do anything to upset your child, but it can work both ways. Request nightly phone call on her time. That may be enough to get her from backing down.

Comment

demanded phone calls on fathers access weekend

First, if you have your child with you, youre not being alienated. Stop throwing that term around. Alienated is no kid, no time, no contact, nothing.

You can do one of two things. Call her and let her have five minutes. Good night, see you soon, goodbye. Or you tell her you will try but it depends on what you are doing and she has no say on your time.

This is a control thing. Say no, ignore her, move on.

Comment

You need to keep in mind that although it may be “your” weekend it’s not about “you”. It’s about what’s in the best interests of your “child”. Not about your ex either. It’s about your child. Divorce and separation is stressful and painful for children too. Maybe even more so because they don’t get a say and their whole world is turned upside down.

You do not have to allow any contact at all between your ex and your child on “your” weekend. That’s up to you but be prepared for the consequences which may flow from that decision. Your ex may become more anxious and it may escalate the conflict between you even more or not. Your child may experience added stress and separation anxiety and may resent you for not allowing phone calls or not.

On the other hand, graciously allowing a 5 minute phone call may decrease your ex’s and your child’s anxiety. If it disrupts your child’s bed time routine then have the call happen 30-45 minutes before bedtime instead.

The point is that one of you has to step up and be the adult in the room. Doing so may include parenting not only your child but your ex as well.

Comment

Take into consideration your ex's personality. Mine gave up after a few weeks because it was too hard for her. The kids barely want to talk to their mom when she calls, because it's all about her and not what they are up to.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X