criminal active forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The-Iceberg View Post
    arabian he lives in Lakewood so Grey nuns is closest. What can an ombudsman do?
    then why was he all the way out at Alberta Hospital?

Many of the psychiatrists work out of Grey Nuns.

Ombudsman will do an investigation. People will be interviewed and a formal hearing may be scheduled. You likely won't know the outcome as patient privacy is paramount with AHS. Rest assured, there are many people who oversee the facility.

Comment

If it was a mental hospital then his shame campaign will go nowhere. He will be labeled crazy.

Tell him to file his report, take his meds, see his doc and bring a friend with him the next time he needs an er.

He likely needs an advocate with him when in this type of situation.

Arabian is right, provide him with an ear and encourage him to move on without getting sucked in.

Comment

It was a misunderstanding Arabian. It happened at the Grey Nuns.

Anyway, when I was him Sunday night he was all swollen on his left side of the face. There is a walnut sized bruise on his neck. Couple more bruises on his body. All from the hospital. But his mental scars are what worries me. I worry he can hurt himself because as he puts it "I went to get help for depression they tortured me mentally and physically". Pretty sad.

Comment

Grey Nuns has high security in place with LOTS of cameras everywhere... from the emergency vehicle entrance to every hallway in the Emergency Department (which is on the main floor). Walking into the ER requires someone to walk through a scanner I believe. If your friend was aggressive then he very well may have been restrained (you mentioned there were more than 1 security?). Restraining can most definitely result in bruising, depending upon how out-of-control the patient is. The allegation that guards took him into some out-of-the-way location to beat him up is not plausible to me.

Your friend (and as rockscan wisely suggested) and advocate could contact the Director of Nursing to expedite the complaint. You would be well-advised to step back from this though... do you know for certain that the bruising occurred at the hospital or are you merely going by what your friend told you? Sometimes psychotic patients have to be restrained so they don't hurt themselves. This can often result in bruising.

Comment

I certainly cannot vouch for him but his relative confirmed what he said. He is not psychotic. How would be hand out then? He would rarely get an a attack if he saw a car crash, then got one when he was attacked on White Avenue.

He took an ambulance to ER and the rest happened inside. I speak to him every day. He said to told a nurse "I am getting thoughts of hitting someone and hurting myself, please help me". Prior to that at registration he said anything but a small locked room due to his condition.

He could have lied and said never mentioned hurting people. He is not like that.

All I know is that if they were going to restrain him to have a security sit with him or find another solution. After all they kicked his butt instead of give him medical help. And talking out-of-control patients, he said, they grabbed him while he was asking for his cellphone.

Comment

I will go again through his complaints tomorrow if I find any contradiction then he may be exaggerating things but so far I stand beside him. He helped me when all my friends left me and I owe to this man.

Comment

I don't live in Alberta but I work in a profession whereby I deal with mentally ill, ptsd, suicidal patients every day and in a hospital setting. Your friend is missing more than half the story. This would NEVER happen. EVER!! Was he formed? Did he spend a day or two at the hospital? Released? Follow-up at his personal GP or psych? This is how it goes in hospital....The patient is triaged as everyone is whether its for a cold or mental health. They are sat down, asked a bunch of questions, blood pressure, etc etc. If brought in by ambulance they would go through same procedure. An ambulance is a taxi for non life threatening issues and doesn't get you in faster to see doctor. Once you are checked out by triage nurse you are put in cubicles where you have a room to yourself to wait, or if busy you may wait in the waiting area or inside near cubicles with others. You are then assessed by the psych Dr or depending on how small hospital is, it may be a regular ER doctor. They may even call his psych Dr. If deemed a threat to others or himself they may keep him (form 1) for 72 hours. Someone would have had to drag him kicking and screaming in front of 50 people, to a different floor to an obscure area and assault him. Cameras are everywhere and one needs a pass to get through some of the doors as well so that will be documented. Your friend needs some help but it is support for his mental health.

Comment

I THINK the second half of the story is in the doctor's records. Let me guess. "The patient arrived via an ambulance and said he is homicidal. We ordered that he goes to the room "A" and wrote a form 1 for upto 24 hours. He refused to enter so he was fighting against security but we got him under control. He was regularly checked on by a nurse, given medication and food. We made sure he is comfortable and ok.

No he did not see any doctor until after several hours a shrink came. He says he is not sure if doctors even knew he is there or they didn't give a damn. No one sat down with him to explain his problems, why he came, what meds he takes. Is he in pain. None.

I haven't been to that hospital in long time but I still get pretty good picture what that ER looks like. It is not very big. He says his bed in hallway was 15 feet away from that what he calls psychotic room.

But anyway, doctors are never in rush except when there is a life threatening emergency. They take their time, patient's pain for them is "she can wait", do not spend enough time with patients, do not listen to patients completely in some cases and I could go on. That is in general not in this case and not in every case.

If he gets a respond from the complaining department they will blame him. If he wants to go ahead with media at least public will know what went on in there. I hope he can make it psychologically not to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Iceberg View Post
                    I certainly cannot vouch for him but his relative confirmed what he said. He is not psychotic. How would be hand out then? He would rarely get an a attack if he saw a car crash, then got one when he was attacked on White Avenue.

He took an ambulance to ER and the rest happened inside. I speak to him every day. He said to told a nurse "I am getting thoughts of hitting someone and hurting myself, please help me". Prior to that at registration he said anything but a small locked room due to his condition.

He could have lied and said never mentioned hurting people. He is not like that.
                    All I know is that if they were going to restrain him to have a security sit with him or find another solution. After all they kicked his butt instead of give him medical help. And talking out-of-control patients, he said, they grabbed him while he was asking for his cellphone.
                    so the relative was with him the entire time? If the relative didnt witness it themselves then they cannot say that is what really happened.

wait till he gets the hospitals response to what happened.

Comment

No standing on the sidelines. His relatives said "we know him well enough so he didn't make it". He went there alone by ambulance. But I know him too. He wouldn't make that up. However he won't be able to prove it. You cannot go against the system.

I've just gone through his 3 page chronological statement and nothing is changed from what he told us. If he managed to get his story into local paper I guess the ER department will feel the consequences. On the other hand you cannot really go against a hospital.

What would I do if it was me? I believe I would fight it because mental system in this H is obviously rotten and patients need better way of access.

Comment

The matter is too complex and all you have is hearsay evidence. As Janus suggested the person in question should go to a lawyer, have the lawyer make the disclosure for the medical records (and all encounter notes).

Sounds like your friend was placed on what they would call a "Form 1" in Ontario. 72 hour hold.

Comment

I got some more info. He was in "Form 1". Due to mental problems he couldn't go to see a doctor. I guess it is too late now. They deserve to be fired but they cannot be touched.

When they grabbed hi and slammed him on the fllor and were rough that is all "normal" despite his fear of closed places. But after they ties him up they shouldn't have physically torture him. His jaw still hurts from unnessecery abuse. This is one sad story where the guilty party will get away with it.

So even if he did see a doctor or if he goes see one tomorrow, he cannot afford a lawyer

Comment

If this made it to the news, I think it would be to congratulate the hospital on how to properly handle this situation and prevent an attack.

A guy, shortly after returning from war, walks into the hospital and says he wants to hurt himself and others. Then tells them he doesn't want to be removed from the crowd of vulnerable people. They try to get him into another room, he refused then said he wants to get his cell phone out of his bag, before they jump and tie him down, kicking and screaming.

Sounds like a job well done.

Comment

Edit: absolutely not. You know better than that.
                              Last edited by blinkandimgone; 11-24-2018, 08:02 AM. Reason: Abusive.

Comment

One thing you have to remember is that perception is reality. Your friend was upset, depressed, having suicidal thoughts and thoughts of harming others. Add to this his heightened anxiety and possibly visual hallucinations ( you mentioned he thought they were putting him in a room with scorpions). Plus PTSD. Coming to hospital in this heightened state of anxiety would definitely colour his perception. When people are this depressed and anxious they are also suffering from cognitive distortions. Coming from this place, his perception will be very different from that of the staff and other patients. His perception of what happened is HIS reality. That does not mean staff purposely set about to abuse him.
                                In his state of mind he likely did not realize that his own out of control behaviours ( resisting) escalated the situation. People with mental illness often lack insight and awareness as to how their behaviour is perceived by others or what role they play in a situation. He is mentally ill. His perception is going to be skewed.

On the other hand it is possible that a member of the crisis response team was heavy handed and did in fact use more force than necessary to help your friend regain control. If your friend has bruises and injuries then this may be the case.

That is why filing a formal complaint is the correct thing to do. Hospitals will take his complaint seriously and investigate what actually happened.

Kudos to you for being such a caring and supportive friend... and as a good friend, the most reasonable thing for you to do is not jump to any conclusions. You already know your friend was not in his right mind when when he went into the Hospital and this coloured his perception of events.
                                Keep in mind there are always three sides to every story. In this case his side, their side and the truth which can overlap both sides.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X