Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAS: Have they been reduced to an after thought?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAS: Have they been reduced to an after thought?

I don't know about anyone else but do you find CAS just doesn't take on anything but the most severe cases these days?
    I know the budget cuts hurt them (in my region they needed an emergency 40 million just to finish 2010) but they seem very reluctant to make court orders or get involved in legal battles. Anyone else?

I am not impressed by the quality of workers they have either.

CAS from what I've found either step into families lives where they are not needed or they over look the cases that they should take on. Either way I have nothing good to say about them.

Comment

My ex is CAS (lovely isn't it).

CAS can be a useful and necessary organization. Those that have them involved in their lives usually have nothing good to say about them as they perceive them as intrusive, and in many ways rightfully so.

But when my ex used to come home and break down in tears because she had to interview so 6y/o that was raped/molested, or a toddle that had cigarettes put out on its arm etc (just to name a couple instances), they are definitely necessary.

Although, they are financially struggling. For years the gov't would wipe any deficiet clean come year end. Now they are not. One CAS actually claimed bankruptcy and closed its doors (Simcoe?), while others have managed their finances much better.

Comment

CAS are there to intervene in serious cases of neglect or abuse. They are not there to deal with battling parenting. They rarely get involved in cases where two parents are involved in a custody battle as this normally ends up with malicious calls and is a waste of their time and money.

That said, CAS have to investigate allegations of neglect or abuse. In our case, they had been called anonymously, stating that my son was left home alone and was not washed, etc. The investigated, spoke directly with my son and confirmed that the allegations where false and closed the case. The next time they where called, just before our family vacation (my ex trying to stop us from going even though we had a court order), they simply closed the case after speaking with me over the phone.

Like most people, I used to think that CAS would simply tear a family apart and as questions later. After being served with custody papers from my ex, my new spouse and I had a talk about CAS (her knowing that CAS would eventually be called by my ex). She explained the mandate for CAS is to keep families together and as she had worked with CAS for a number of years through a 3rd party support organization for at risk kids, she convinced me that when CAS where called to work with them on getting a resolution.

I'll tell you, it was the best advise of my life!

Comment

The huge problem that families in Ontario can face with CAS is there is no formal oversight over this organization. They do have a complaint process but no direct independent oversight. There are wonderful people involved and employed with CAS and they can have a brutally tough job. There is currently to much power and authority and not enough oversight. An incompetent child protection worker can spread enormous damage.

Comment

CAS is involved in my situation.
            They seem to be an impotent organisation that manifests itself as a mere imposition on time - but of course, with two weeks notice so you have plenty of time to adjust and prepare.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X