View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM
logicalvelocity logicalvelocity is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,943
logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Sorry to hear about your situation,

this is just an opinion

A legal separation is when both parties participate in a legal separation agreement. The agreement will clarify the terms of separations until divorce is granted. The separation agreement could form all or part of the divorce settlement.

Custody of children;
access to children;
Child support;(tabled amount)
Spousal support - quantum and duration;
division of property and liabilities;
division of pensions;
division of canada pension credits;
division of RSP's;
life insurance policies;
Net equalizations payments;
and possible estate issues in the event of death of either party;
and any other appropiate issue

One thing to note, if your in ontario, you could ask to remain in the matrimonial home as you do have children. I am not sure about other jurisdictions. Divorce and separation is very hard on children. It might be in your children's best interest to keep your children in the enevironment that they are accumstomed to.

One thing is certain, do not sign anything until you consult with a lawyer in regards to all the terms of the separation agreement. All your entitlements and rights will be explained.