Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compensatory part of SS is a reality and while you may not believe in it the courts do. I certainly gave up a very good career to work together with my husband in our business and raise a son. My post secondary credential are out of date and the reality is that women do suffer an economic disadvantage from being out of the work force for long periods of time. The courts recognize this.

As a person that receives substantial SS I can assure you I would much prefer to be working in a satisfying career right now. I have to pay tax on everything I receive and I am not earning CPP. I have no health benefits or pension.

My advice to you is: Always try to put yourself in your opponents situation before you take an attack position. It will save you money, frustration and wasted time in court.

Comment

Arabian: she is living mortgage free and her net worth is more than mine.

Comment

"Mess: we wre both 42 at the time of separation and almost 19 years together. Thats 61 years."

Does that mean when I'm 109 my 117 year old ex will still be paying SS?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          Compensatory part of SS is a reality and while you may not believe in it the courts do. I certainly gave up a very good career to work together with my husband in our business and raise a son. My post secondary credential are out of date and the reality is that women do suffer an economic disadvantage from being out of the work force for long periods of time. The courts recognize this.

As a person that receives substantial SS I can assure you I would much prefer to be working in a satisfying career right now. I have to pay tax on everything I receive and I am not earning CPP. I have no health benefits or pension.

My advice to you is: Always try to put yourself in your opponents situation before you take an attack position. It will save you money, frustration and wasted time in court.
          How old is your child? Mine are 18 and 21 and the youngest doesn't live at home for 8 months Of the year. He lives with a billet family playing jr. Hockey.

Comment

Caranna: Not in this case but in a long-term marriage yes it can be definite.

Baffled_Dad: How do you figure her net worth is more than yours? Did you screw up when dividing up the assets?

Comment

My son is 31 and currently lives with me (not that it makes any difference).

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
                "Mess: we wre both 42 at the time of separation and almost 19 years together. Thats 61 years."

Yes! It's truly a joke.

Comment

meant to say "indefinite" to caranna. Best to do some reading/research on the subject. It's (SS) spelled out quite clearly in articles on the internet. Probably oodles of case law on CanLII

Comment

"meant to say "indefinite" to caranna. Best to do some reading/research on the subject."

Got me wondering about the "definite" part. Ok thanks.

Comment

No! Her brand new vehicle I gave her was never taken into consideration and my truck was 7 years old. She has no mortgage and I do. My house was worth 50k more. Her decision to buy where she chose to.

Comment

Quit yer whining. You get to write-off 100% of spousal support on your income tax every year. Had you stayed home to raise the kids you would be the one receiving SS.

Comment

Vehicles are an asset (if they are paid for and not leased) so you screwed up. She made a smarter real estate decision. So? Your point is?

Comment

I meant this as a joke. I was 67 years old and married 42 years!

Comment

caranna - may you live long and prosper LOL !!!!!

Comment

I didn't mean to hit a sore spot. Yes I did screw up. I married her. I didn't about the whole process the Right way. Test me! I never left her high and dry. I was overly fair with her.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X