MEP & arbitration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEP & arbitration

Does anyone know if an arbitrator has the power to make an enforceable order for MEP or can that only be done through a judge?

does this help??

Divorce Arbitration Calgary - Moe Hannah - Collaborative & Family Law

Comment

5 years ago my divorce was done in Alberta by binding arbitration. It is called Judicial Dispute Resolution (JDR). AT that time there was a difference in how these JDR's were carried out, depending upon if you were in Calgary or Edmonton area. In Edmonton area JDR's are presided over by Judges. There is information on the Court of Queen's Bench website about JDR's.

It is very important to read up on the difference of binding vs. non-binding JDR's. I personally feel non-binding is a waste of time.

When we had our JDR the judge was not robed and we spent the day in a conference room. At the end of the day the the judge read her decision to us and we reconvened upstairs in the court room with the robed judged who pronounced the divorce.

Don't know if this is helpful or not but I do know there is much information for Alberta JDR's and fortunately more and more lawyers are encouraging their clients to go this route and save a fortune. My ex and I only had to pay for our respective lawyers. And yes the divorce Order was and is enforceable by MEP.
      Last edited by arabian; 05-13-2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks, this helps. Ive been asking the arbitrator if she has the authority for getting a MEP thing happening, but I'm not getting an answer.

Comment

Read up on MEP website about "enforceable Orders/Agreements" and if you have questions give them a call. You can also go to the courthouse in Edmonton and ask the nice people there.

Comment

As far as I know, MEP requires a court order *which I assume needs to be signed by a judge* OR you both agree and sign off on their agreement form.

it needs to specify when child support starts, and the exact amount.
            Last edited by FirstTimer; 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X