View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Ron Ron is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Ron is on a distinguished road
Question How do I go about getting guardianship of my 16 year old niece

My 16 year old niece from Alberta has lived with my family in Ontario for over the past year as her mother is an alcoholically that refuses to get help and is very abusive to her daughter when she drinks. The father does not want to change his life to accommodate the daughter so the best place for her to live is with my family. She came to us after she was removed from the home in Alberta by Alberta Child and Family Services in July 2011 and spent the entire school year at our house. She returned to Alberta this past summer with the intention of staying but could not make it work and has returned to Ontario. This is starting to look permanent and we need to get guardianship but the mother refuses to allow that as she claims to sole custody of her and has not accepted that her daughter will not live her as it is not a healthy place for her. We have not been paid any money by either parent for her expenses at any time so far - lots of promises but no money. I need to know what I need to do to get guardianship so we can get her the Ontario Health Care and claim her as a dependent. I need to figure out a way to do it as inexpensively as possible because we can't afford a long legal procedure. Please offer some advice and thanks in advance for the help