Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! How to register child support order in another province!!!???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How to register child support order in another province!!!???

My court order regarding child support was finalized and registered in Ontario. I moved to Quebec and was told by the regie that in order to obtain standard child assistance (baby bonus provincial allotment) I need to have my "(Ontario) JUDGEMENT REGISTERED" in Quebec. How do I do this?

I went to the courthouse in Montreal to register it and they said they knew nothing about this. I made several calls all over. Anyone else had this problem? Right now the order/judgement of support is being handled by the FRO. Do they do the transfer or register it in the new province? I'm tired of getting the runaround from all of these government offices!!!! HELP!

If you register with the local province FRO/MEP agency, they should contact the other province's agency, and get the support sent to you through your local agency.

Comment

a copy of her order needs to be filed ("registered") with the courts. (at least, that is the way it works in the rest of the country...but Quebec is civil code...and I am not as familiar with it). FRO will continue to enforce it, then the amount is sent to the Quebec agency, who sends funds to you...

...the good news is...should you need to deal with FRO, their ISO unit (interjurisdictional support orders) is WAYYYYY better than the rest of the people who don't know what the heck they do 37.5 hrs a week!

I'll see what I can dig up on getting it registered, since I assumed the process would be the same...

Comment

Ok...it should be as simple as you thought...it is covered in PQ by An Act Respecting Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders, R.S.Q. c. E-19...

CanLII - An Act respecting Reciprocal enforcement of maintenance orders, R.S.Q. c. E-19

It should be as simple as ensuring a copy of your court order makes it to the Superior Court of Quebec...

Comment

You may need to ask the court clerk in Ontario to fax it to the court clerk there, if they want the "official". However, I would expect that a copy of your original is enough.

Comment

I would also speak to FRO about transferring the file to Quebec's MEA...and then following up within the week with the MEA.

Comment

The <cite>ISO Act</cite> is a uniform statute that all provinces and territories in Canada have agreed to pass. The act allows parties residing in different jurisdictions to obtain and vary maintenance orders under provincial legislation more quickly and easily. It benefits families by increasing the likelihood of entitlement to maintenance and facilitates the speedier enforcement of Canadian maintenance orders.

This is from Alberta, but each province is similar.

(1) To enforce an extra-provincial order or a foreign order, the claimant or the appropriate authority of the reciprocating jurisdiction must send a certified copy of the order to the designated authority in Alberta.
              (2) On receiving a certified copy of the extra-provincial order or foreign order, the designated authority must send a copy of the order in accordance with the regulations to the clerk of the Alberta court.
              18(1) On receiving a copy of the extra-provincial order or foreign order, the clerk of the Alberta court must register it as an order of the court.
              (2) On being registered, the extra-provincial order or foreign order
              (a) has, from the date it is registered, the same effect as if it were a support order made by an Alberta court, and
              (b) may, with respect to arrears accrued before registration and with respect to obligations accruing after registration, be enforced or varied as provided in this Act whether the order is made before, on or after the day on which this Act comes into force.
              (3)
              An order registered under subsection (1) may be filed with the Director of Maintenance Enforcement and, if so filed, must be enforced in Alberta in accordance with the Maintenance Enforcement Act.

Comment

The ISO act does not apply to Divorce Orders.

Comment

Originally posted by InterprovincialParents View Post
                  The ISO act does not apply to Divorce Orders.
                  Ok, but how about the support order? The ISO act has authority over that?

I have not had personal experience with this, but a friend of mine did. All she did was took the Alberta order to the BC MEP, and they did the rest.

Comment

It does not apply to Quebec...read the act.

Comment

I have read it, but it does not say much other than this about reciprical orders other than this:

10. The Government may by order designate any state, province or territory which it considers to have legislation substantially similar to the provisions of this Act that authorizes the execution of judgments ordering payment of maintenance rendered in Qu&#233;bec.

However I found this on the Justice web site, and it implies that all you do is contact the local agency:

Provincial and Territorial Information on Interjurisdictional and International Support Order Enforcement
                      NOTE: All Canadian jurisdictions have established reciprocal support enforcement arrangements with one another. If you need help enforcing a support order in another province or territory, or outside of Canada, please contact the program in the province in which you live.

I have reread the initial post, and it appears that the problem may not be with her collecting child support, but with collecting the baby bonus.
                      Last edited by rwm1273; 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

You've both been a big help. Thanks for the tips. I will call the FRO first because I went to the main Montreal courthouse, the office which is supposed to deal with support court orders, to have it registered as opposed to just faxing it. They were all confused there but I may have hit on the wrong clerk that day. It was odd. He looked at my original order copy and then ran around to 3 or 4 desks before coming back and saying to call someone else at a higher office. Then that woman said she would see about getting it registered and get back to me but never did. Again, strange since she's some sort of director who is supposed to deal with this kind of stuff.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X