Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does child support start?

I got separated November 02.

Does the first payment for child support start before expenses on November 02 or after expenses December 02?

Child support should start either mid November or first of December. Depending on how you both set it. Unless you have offset and it's a lower table amount.

Comment

Who paid the rent/mortgage/utilities/stuff during November?

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
        Who paid the rent/mortgage/utilities/stuff during November?
        I don't know if anyone paid them for sure.
        No mortgage was due.
        I do know that in the first month the payee paid a bill saying it was overdue.
        There is one bill the payee paid that they had always paid during the marriage. The other bills may be a bit behind (hydro, gas).

During the last 8 months of the marriage usually the payer would pay the bills. Before that the payee would pay the bills.

The payee has stated they expect the payor to pay all the bills except for the one they paid the whole time ($50/month).

What are the angles here for the payee and payor?

Is it possible it will cost one of them in the long run?

Comment

Your posts are odd since you don’t specify info.

If you are living in the home and have the kids full time then you should be getting child support which would then be used to pay bills like the mortgage. (I dont know how occupational rent works so someone else should comment.)

If they are living in the home with the kids full time then you pay table support and don’t pay any other bills.

If you have 50/50 and one person lives in the matrimonial home then it may be a bit more complicated.

Comment

50/50 with kids and home.

Comment

Originally posted by summersimmer View Post
              What are the angles here for the payee and payor?
              What angles are you talking about?

The payor has to pay one of two things:
              1) The bills
              2) Support

Pick your poison. If it is unclear who paid the bills, then it is unclear if support should be paid. That said, I'm not sure how the identity of the payer of the bills should be unknown.

Is it possible it will cost one of them in the long run?
              In the short run, sure. A payor who doesn't pay the bills and doesn't provide support could be viewed unfavourably by the court. A payee who pays bills could be stuck without compensation. A payor who pays the bills could get dinged for support anyway. A payee who doesn't pay the bills could get some credit report dings.

In the long run? Unlikely, not much will turn on the events of Nov2-Dec2.

Comment

Originally posted by summersimmer View Post
                50/50 with kids and home.
                If you have 50.50 then child support should be based on an offset of your incomes. What is the difference of your incomes ? Don't quickly jump the gun and pay her full table amount like most uninformed dad's do.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X